Used Waterfall bio-filter for 2000 Gallon fish pond

Reaction score
We purchased a used waterfall bio filter and is there any precautions to take before using in our pond. I developed a DIY filter and it cleared up our pond and now we are on to the next step in the rebuilding of our fish pond. We are really excited about this water feature and got a good deal on the bio filter waterfall off of Craigslist. So, any info would be greatly appreciated. I included a photogrpah of our pond.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Samsung photos 2 195.jpg
    Samsung photos 2 195.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 2,208

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I would sterilize it with bleach if you can manage. It may be overkill but better safe then sorry. If the thing came off craiglist who knows what shape the pond was in that it came out of?

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
I would sterilize it as well. It only makes sense to let your pond's bio-goo be what populates it rather than someone else's bio-goo getting in your pond.

Reaction score
Aight...thanks, I appreciate the response to this posting. I did not know what to use as a cleanser and if I must use bleach, so, be it. It's( the bio filter) has been sitting our shed due to our plans of redoing our pond.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Well I would clean it well with just clear water either from the pond or declor from the faucet.
But I would never ever recommend using bleach or soaps or dedergents.

It will not take much of bleach left over on or in this unit to create a disaster in the pond.

pond looks nice.

Ruben

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Ruben Miranda said:
Hello
Well I would clean it well with just clear water either from the pond or declor from the faucet.
But I would never ever recommend using bleach or soaps or dedergents.

It will not take much of bleach left over on or in this unit to create a disaster in the pond.

pond looks nice.

Ruben
The bacteria and virus that may be there are the real danger.

Just rinse it well when you finish bleaching, and if you have doubts hit it with some dechlore.

People have been using bleach to clean pond and aquarium stuff for ages. The first organics bleach comes into contact with neutralizes it. This could be algae, DOC's, bacteria, anything organic in the water. Chances of it getting to the fish in a concentration that would do any harm is zero.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello

HTH Wrote:

The bacteria and virus that may be there are the real danger.

Just rinse it well when you finish bleaching, and if you have doubts hit it with some dechlore.

People have been using bleach to clean pond and aquarium stuff for ages. The first organics bleach comes into contact with neutralizes it. This could be algae, DOC's, bacteria, anything organic in the water. Chances of it getting to the fish in a concentration that would do any harm is zero.
Well I have had Tanks since I was very small I remember my first Gold fish and I have had ponds for about 15 years now I am in my 50's and I have only heard of people cleaning and disaffecting things with Bleach.
That do's not mean it is a good idea nor would I recommend it.
It would not take much bleach concentrated or other wise to kill your whole pond BB or your fish and I would not take that chance, And If I won't take that chance I would not tell someone to do it.
The fact is that cleaning something with pure water and letting it dry out would result in any bacteria dieing off anyway. Since it is a water bacteria that we are worried about anyway right.

Ruben

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I too am over 50 and have decades of experiance and it does not mean a darn thing.

We will just have to disagree..

Google "aquarium bleach" and you will find many links that say it is safe to use to clean tanks.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
:biggrin: We clearly disagree :biggrin:
But I still would not take that chance.

By the way experience (To me do's make a diffrence)
I for sure would not take advice from someone who did not have experience would you.

I am not looking for a fight that is not why I am here.

have a great evening HTH
Ruben

Reaction score
So, I should replace the filter media too...instead of reusing the old that came with the bio filter? I've been soaking it in water and shaking it around and some of the gunk is coming off...but I am not confident that it will be clean enough to use for our pond. Any thoughts?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
If you can get it clean use it. Try soaking some in bleach overnight and see if it helps remove any of the gunk.

My point about experiance not mattering is that anybody can say anything and people reading it have no idea how much truth there is in it. Maybe i should have said claimed experiance.

Don't take our word for it. Check the web and see what the consensus is there. Not fool proof but better then two people here. See what other people here have to say. Start a new thread asking if it is safe.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
oh my hey you win there is no need to start another post for petes sake. :chair:

You got to be kidding right
From now on what ever you say is right and I will not post any where near you.

I am out
Ruben

Reaction score
IMHO bleach is OK just don't use it straight up. Dilute it. I have always used it including for sterilizing my beer making equipment. Never once have I had mold in a bottle of beer or killed the yeast in my wort. Just rinse with plenty of clean water

Ask a Question