Using a air pump apposed to a heater

Reaction score
I have been using a air pump raised near top to keep an air hole all winter long on long island ny with out fail as opposed to the heated type using up to 1500 watts of energy.I use a pondmaster ap40 with multi hose connections its more than powerful enough and also adds oxygen and uses 40watts of energy.If your up far north might be a different story and have to use a heated type.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I change back and forth and since the heater has an automatic thermostat it only comes on when needed and also had an aerator freeze up in the 2010 winter since it was so bad and I did not have a heater back then

I used my pump and had to do this after that .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have the same air pump as you tweb...........AP 40 and man it puts off a lot of bubbles. This is the first year I've had it and I don't think I want to leave it in my pond over winter as it might churn up the cold water and chill my fishes to the bone. I usually just use my old aquarium air pump that gives off a small amount of bubbles to keep a hole open if we get any ice. Doesn't get as cold here as where you live tho. I also use a water fountain pump w/o the fountain tip attached, just the main tube that water flows up and keeps a hole in another part of the pond. Works good this way so far and have never used a heater. What kind of air stones do you use on your AP 40. I have a bunch of tiny aquarium ones on the 12 barb diffuser adapter they give you. I was wondering if I could use just one big air stone w/o using that adapter or might it hurt the pump doing it that way?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Since I live in Florida, and it getting only 25-30 Degrees here, should I bother getting a heater? I only have Gold fish!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Since I live in Florida, and it getting only 25-30 Degrees here, should I bother getting a heater? I only have Gold fish!

nope you should be fine. Mine stay out year round, we drop to the minus now and then, just use air to keep a hole in the ice. You won't get enough ice to worry about if any

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Up here in the frozen north an air pump is pretty well useless in the average winter. A 1500w stock tank heater, run about 4 or 5 hours twice a week is perfect. HOWEVER, this past winter was so mild I only turned the heater on about 4 times!
John

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are way more temperate then you John, except for 2010 winter 60 inches of snow, it usually snows, then in 2-3 days all gone. Grass sometimes stays green all winter. Tractor supply is close if I end up needing a heater, but I think with my setup the air will do just fine. I have a pondmaster 100 it moves some water! I keep it far from the deep end where the fish hang out.

I put that pipe insulation around the air hose (3/4 inch) to keep the warm air from condensation as bad so it won't freeze up the line. Also run the line under water which helps. Have to weigh it down with fishing weights but it works.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
My point exactly, Addy. I see pond de-icers for sale here rated at 175 to 325 watts, and I have to laugh. Maybe in Maryland or Virginia, but not here! I've known ponders locally who tried these things, and all failed to last one winter. Some actually got crushed by the ice they were supposed to prevent. And air pumps only seem to work effectively when the pond is covered with styrofoam or some other insulating material.
John

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I change back and forth and since the heater has an automatic thermostat it only comes on when needed and also had an aerator freeze up in the 2010 winter since it was so bad and I did not have a heater back then

I used my pump and had to do this after that .
Siisy, i made something exactly like that last year after seeing your pictures. I will have to search my camera and computers, but i have some great pictures showing how well it didn't work for me :) We had a couple of REALLY cold days with wind right in a row, and the ice formed up and over the entire little fountain contraption i made.

It was really cool looking, the ice was crystal clear, and you could see the little streams of water shooting out and into the water, but ice had formed up over top of the entire thing. I'd have to expiriment more with it to see if i could get it to work, but it was cold, and i had ice, so i just went out and bought a heater.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My aerator has worked well for me over the years. In 2010 when it was really cold is the only time that the pond froze completely over using my aerator, and when it did I just went out there and poked through the ice just as it was beginning to freeze where the aerator was. I did this for a few mornings and never had a problem after that. I do have a heater as a back up that i stick in the pond but have not used it in years.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
nice to know tmann, the 2010 winter we had 8 inches of ice, frozen solid, but only 4 fish, which I did not know where in there. I am going to depend on the air pump and just monitor freezing. It moves a bunch of water.

Ask a Question