Using a float to maintain water level

Reaction score
I have my skimmer set up with a float that allows the water level to remain at it's maximin at all times. My concern with that is the effect it could have on building good colonies of BB, and the level of clorine contamination it might have. I test the water everyday but there is very little change in the chemistry. Except the clorine, only sometimes, rises to being at a very low danger level. But, it clears up within a day or two and doesn't happen again for a week or more.
Should I be concerned? Or is there something I can add to the water, during those high level of clorine times? Should I turn off the water supply and add water only when it gets down to a certain level? All other values on my test results are always in the good range.
Thanks for the help,
Susan

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a float in my arizona pond, the fish where never bothered by any chlorine that was added. Since it is a "trickle" flow (depending on how darn hot it was) the amount of chlorine added to the water was insignificant to be able to harm the fish etc.

Every now and then I would get a slightly higher than nothing level of chlorine, it did not seen to cause any issues.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
only thing you have to watch with a float is if you get a leak or over flow and you don't know and think all is fine.I guess that would really depend on how low you have the water going in like addy says a trickle will do fine .I had a float in and thought it was great and did not realize I had something wrong until my electric bill came in because the well pump and whole house filter were running all the time and for some that can mean a high water bill .I thought at first it was something else and had to track down until I was in the basement and kept hearing the bladder on the storage tank running

Reaction score
only thing you have to watch with a float is if you get a leak or over flow and you don't know and think all is fine.I guess that would really depend on how low you have the water going in like addy says a trickle will do fine .I had a float in and thought it was great and did not realize I had something wrong until my electric bill came in because the well pump and whole house filter were running all the time and for some that can mean a high water bill .I thought at first it was something else and had to track down until I was in the basement and kept hearing the bladder on the storage tank running

So true...the first float I had was defective and by the time I realized it, my pond had overflowed. Water was just spraying out under the cover of the skimmer. The one I have now is just a drip trickle...but i do keep a close eye just in case.
What about the effect on benificial bac? That water coming into the the skimmer goes straight up to the BB bin. Will colonies still be able to thrive?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not sure about that ,but something to think about fresh water verses bio in filter .But thing is most of it should mix before it gets there .But not sure about city water

Reaction score
You could connect the float to a rain barrel, and just keep the rain barrel topped off with the tap hose. The chlorine will dissipate naturally from the rain barrel, most likely before it goes into the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We don't use a float here, don't want to take a chance with our well. With our lousy water in arizona, I went through a few floats as they clogged up due to mineral deposits. More than once had stuck on floats.
I use a electric irrigation set up to auto add water to the pond, it comes on for xx time every few days. I adjust it as the weather changes. If it is hot and windy the water level can drop pretty good due to plant use (bog) evaporation (bog and pond) The water level has not moved at all with winter, good test to show no leak lol. We were losing so much water last summer I became concerned at one time.

Can you move your water feed? remove it from the skimmer so it goes into the pond for a mix before it heads to the bb bin?

Reaction score
I think I will move the feed. Not sure how yet, but I'm going to have my sprinkler system reinstalled some time this year, so I'll incorporate something at that time. Right now it feeds directly off the main waterline, that used to be part of my backyard sprinker station. I could run it straight into the bog, giving it plenty of time to mix. Yeah, that's what I'm going to do...thanks guys :blueflower:

Susan

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
BIG LOU...
the purpose isnt really to prevent overflow. its to keep or maintain a "minimium" water level. like a toilet tank filling mechanism. when the desired level is reached, it shuts off water flow. and allowws water flow when the level drops.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My neighbor had her faucet freeze because of one so have to remember in winter you may have to think of that you sure don't want frozen pipes or broken pipes

Reaction score
Never personally had a float, friend had one, it clogged open while she was at work, and she basically did a water change. Her township used chloramines as so many do now, not chlorine, chloramine doesn't dissipate like chlorine does. She did lose a number of fish.

Reaction score
Hmmm...alot to think about here. I relly like the rain barrel idea. Only there isn't consistant enough amounts of rain, to compete with the evaporation from long and very hot dry spells in my arrea. I don't like knowing all the things that could cause a float to become faulty and the mess that could create. I'm going to have to do some more thinking on this...maybe a timer set up, or something.
Also, I'm going to request a chemistry evaluation from my water company, just to know what they are adding these days. I don't think I should exspect it to be consistantly accurate, and probably should be treating all the water added to the pond. Some days I can actually smell chlorine, when I'm running water in the bathtub. Not always, though.
Biology was my favorite subject in school, and still fascinates me. Chemistry...and this could just be an imaginary fear...may be the biggest challenge for me here. :banghead3:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
There is more and more information starting to appear about long term effects of Chloramine. Chloramine is a binded chemical compound, so it does not dissipate like chlorine does, If fact it's been in some reports that it could be several days for the chlorine to break down and still there is the left over ammonia to deal with. From what I have read and there is some controversy on this but some say that this ammonia is not broken down the same as excreted ammonia does. I personally thought ammonia was ammonia, but apparently there is some type of difference? fact or fiction from information on the internet. LOL Anyway if it is or not it still needs to be removed or locked with a ammonia binder like ammo-lock by aquarium pharmaceuticals. I drip feed one of my ponds right next to the skimmer and there is a constant overflow all the time, again, only a drip but it's constant. I have not seen a noticeable problem as far as bio conversion with the drip feed system. Never saw ammonia above .15ppm all year last year, really never saw nitrite readings of any color to read past the first month after starting the pond, and just had my highest nitrate reading this past week at 20ppm, That I expected considering the ups and downs of temperatures and I am feeding almost daily. I'm planning on installing a under sink purifying system that has some type of refillable filter cartridge and tying it in to my drip feed system before it enters the faucet . My thinking is I would like to install something I can fill with ammo-carb so I can clean the water by carbon and ammonia removing chips to hopefully remove the chloramine before it ever enters the pond. I have noticed something going on of concern though and I suspect possible chloramine poisoning. I have read that residual Chloramine can effect some fish by damaging weak gills, adding stress, immunities are lower, internal problems, and possibly can cause issues with the fluid behind the eyes. Got me to thinking and I may be over thinking but I have a few koi that while once were growing very well and were fat and healthy now look somewhat mal-nutritioned. I have seen no other signs of anything wrong, haven't lost a fish all year except to a predator. Is this caused by the residual chlorinehloramine? I don't know and I'm looking for answers myself. Simply speaking I can't answer that. I don't know. What I do know is I have moved three fish that have been effected to the pond that is not drip fed. This pond is the koi only pond so the food will be a better quality and more regular. If it continues my next choice of action is to take a fish that is affected and put it down and have scoped internally. Fortunately for me and unfortunately for the koi I have one that looks pretty bad both with this issue, and not anything special and would be rehomed anyway. Not something I want to do but for the sake of the rest of the fish I have to find out what is going on, if it is a internal parasite or bacteria then I can take action, if not, my next guess is something coming in with the new water. I know this post is long, and it's probably putting more questions out there than answers. Honestly at this point in time if it is a drip feed I would continue until you find something more efficient. But, keep a eye on all aspects of the pond. not just the filter. One last thing, the rain barrel has it's pro's and cons as well. rain water is very acidic in most areas. Tap water is usually hard water in many areas. Good idea to request a analysis from the water company for a base line and knowing what they treat with Chlorine/Chloramine. Just adding rain water only can drop KH and PH to dangerously low levels. So you'll have to adjust if needed if going that route. 1/2 and 1/2 rain water to tap water ponds don't usually have a big problem with adjusting KH or PH except in heavily stocked older ponds with little or no water changes.

Reaction score
The rain barrel is providing a holding tank for the water that the float valve uses to top off the pond. It can be filled with rain, tap or a combination of both water. It can also be treated.

Your thoughts are very interesting Larkin, in many ways. I wonder if we should be filtering our drinking water with ammo lock?

Ask a Question