Using an above ground pool filter for koi pond?

rrr

Reaction score
I have a 500gal outdoor koi pond. Keeping this pond free of sunken oak leaves and bottom muck build-up has been real struggle over the years. I have a basic skimmer and coarse pond filter (filter mat type), but it doesn't do a very good job.
I drain the pond yearly, and use a sludge pump to flush out all the gunk...but there must be a better way.
Has anyone used an above ground pool sand filter to keep their pond clean? I'm thinking this would be an easy way to stir up the bottom muck+leaves and suck it all out through this filter. I'm thinking that it won't need to run all year long, just on and off through the year.
thoughts?
thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think you would find a pool filter would clog up very very fast. Have you considered adding a bog filter?

Having said that, no filtration can keep a pond free of leaves and gunk that falls into the pond - that's mechanical filtration that has to be handled with a skimmer, a net for scooping anything that sinks, or a leaf net to keep the pond covered when the leaves are falling.

I'm also a bit concerned about your 500 gallon "koi pond". That's a small volume of water for even one koi...

rrr

Reaction score
@Liska1: you caught me, they are actually shubunkin goldfish :rolleyes:

No room for a bog, but I do like that idea. I'm now thinking I could lay a fine mesh 10' x 12' net across the bottom of the pond. Every few months I could pull up this net which would contain the sunken oak leaves. The floating leaves are caught by the skimmer, no problem there. The only remaining issue is the accumulated fine muck on the bottom. If I stir this up occasionally there must be some kind of filtration that can efficiently pull this out of the water. Do you think a sand filter would clog with only this mucky stuff?
thanks

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just curious, but what kind of filtration system do you use now? I think this was mentioned way back in one of your other threads, but sometimes all you have to do is route some water from the pump through a crate filled with polyester quilt batting (not underwater, but flowing back into the pond). That is a great way to filter out fines.

rrr

Reaction score
Just curious, but what kind of filtration system do you use now? I think this was mentioned way back in one of your other threads, but sometimes all you have to do is route some water from the pump through a crate filled with polyester quilt batting (not underwater, but flowing back into the pond). That is a great way to filter out fines.
Thanks. I have something is similar to this:
Unfortunately it does not filter out any of this fine muck.
I like the 'crate of batting' idea. Just need to find a way to tap off some of the pump output to run through it. Would be difficult since it's all buried.
Maybe I can just setup a temporary pond-side pump and push the output through the crate of batting, running it every few months. But need to make sure I don't suck up any fish in the process!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They have different color pads that are varying how course or fine the pads are blue is semi course.

rrr

Reaction score
They have different color pads that are varying how course or fine the pads are blue is semi course.

That may be the best idea yet. My waterfall/filter box has three 1" thick very coarse pads that the water from the pump runs through before going over the waterfall. If I add a couple of layers of the finer pads/batting to the existing coarse pad stack, and clean them every couple of weeks, this may do the trick for the fines. Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have three never wash all three at the same time leave one with a culture of bacteria on it rinse the other two but always save one that way you maintain some hint of a biological filter

rrr

Reaction score
If you have three never wash all three at the same time leave one with a culture of bacteria on it rinse the other two but always save one that way you maintain some hint of a biological filter
That makes sense, thanks! I'll take just a hint of bio filter at this point!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'd also wonder if it's really necessary to remove the very fine muck - it's not hurting anything. Remember - pond, not pool. I'm assuming your pond is bare bottomed - no rocks or gravel?

If you're going to utilize a net in the pond, put it over the pond to catch the leaves BEFORE they get in the pond? Just a thought!

Also - glad to hear those aren't koi! Shubunkins are beautiful, underrated fish in the pond world!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, I just caught that, as well! A 500 gallon pond — that should be super easy to cover with a net to keep debris out! Prevention is the best way to solve a problem. A pool filter sounds like overkill.

Maybe you could post a few pictures of your pond and your current filter set-up so we could have a better idea what you are dealing with.

Last edited:

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
With outdoor ponds you'll usually need to vacuum the bottom every season. Your current filter pads will mechanically filter out some solids and keep the water clear. By the way, you need to get some bio-media. Look at the 2nd to last picture on top and the "frequently bought together" items. They show a bag of bio-balls. But ceramic rings are better, have more surface area and are quite cheap. The bio-media will keep your ammonia and nitrites down.

Ask a Question