Using an aquarium heater to extend time tropicals can be in pond

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello all! Long time no post. I opted out of a container pond this year, but I am nonetheless considering one next year and wanted to keep and breed tropical and/or subtropical fish in it. Which brings me to my question...

I am already aware that aquarium heaters are not rugged enough to keep a container pond liquid over the winter. However, could they keep the container pond warmer during spring and fall and thus extend how long warm water fish and/or tropical water lilies could stay in the pond before being pulled in for the winter? I was considering a 200 watt aquarium heater for a 20 gallon pond, and the fish I would keep would most likely be happy with minimum temps in the 60's (I haven't ruled out wild bettas or other VERY tropical fish, though...those would need low 70's minimum). Thankx for your quick replies!

PS...any suggestions for pond plants for very soft, acidic (think ph 5) water? Among the fish I may try in the water garden next year are licorice gouramies that demand such water for breeding purposes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I would, if you haven't already planned it, insulate the sides and bottom with a couple inches of blue polystyrene. You might also consider using a couple layers of bubble wrap on part of the surface, the heavy duty stuff like they use on hot tubs.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That type of heater will not work glass will fracture it is not made for colder temps. I have a fish tank in the basement and over wintered some baby fish and basement slab and walls are insulated but the 2010 winter was bad here and basement door was slightly open and it broke and electrocuted the fish .My fault because of hose being in the doorway .It was the winter that my big fish knocked the pond pump sideways and almost drained the pond of water .Learned my lesson about pumps for the winter .I had to work in a now storm to get the pond refilled .

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Did I say this wrong? The pond is a 20 gallon that I wanted to use a 200 watt aquarium heater to keep it in the low 60's or higher as long as the weather outside is still reasonable (average temps of 50 or higher). I had no intention of trying to overwinter fish outside with this thing.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Did I say this wrong? The pond is a 20 gallon that I wanted to use a 200 watt aquarium heater to keep it in the low 60's or higher as long as the weather outside is still reasonable (average temps of 50 or higher). I had no intention of trying to overwinter fish outside with this thing.
20 gals sounds more like an aquarium than a pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Average temps mean nothing .I live in VA and only 15 minutes from NC and we can get down in the teens and below .My average temp is 55 and I have to laugh at that .I know that is a lie because my heat pump tells me that .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I would advise against using an aquarium heater outdoors. They are not designed to operate in outdoor conditions.
Also, one blast of cold air can really cause some temperature swings with the water temperature in a container that size.
The heater won't be able to react fast enough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I also would suggest not using an aquarium heater outside, even just for fall and spring. Especially in a container pond that small. Small volumes of water can change temperature rapidly. An aquarium heater could never keep up. Insulating would certainly help though.

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
OK! Thankx...guess I should just stick to species that are relatively cold tolerant.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 40 litre container pond with white cloud mountain minnows that I want to heat over winter. Any suggestions?

Ask a Question