Using an inflatable pool as a holding pond during maintenance

Discussion in 'Newbies to Garden Ponds' started by vestaviascott, Jul 31, 2017.

1. vestaviascott

vestaviascott

I've just got my pond filled and pump added to check water levels, flow rate, fountain operation, etc. Some pics included below for reference. Still work to do including adding more rocks to the fountain basin, securing the concrete pavers around the pond and plumbing the pump tubing with 90 deg fittings (the clear hose is temporary).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of my inside corners apparently has slipped below the intended water line and is allowing water to leak out under the liner (I do have a drain below the liner to allow for this sort of thing). As a result, the water level is about 3-4 inches lower than I'd like.

[​IMG]

To fix the corner, I need to drain the water down to about half pool in order to work the corner out and tape it in place to prevent it slipping down again.

In order to conserve water, I'm considering using an inflatable pool to serve as a temporary holding pond for the water I'm draining out.

Here's the pool I'm considering > https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009PU0UQ/

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    vestaviascott, Jul 31, 2017
    Tula likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. vestaviascott

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Should be fine as long as you keep filtration and/or aeration. After all your hard work, you can empty it, refill it, and take a dip!

MoonShadows, Jul 31, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. vestaviascott

vestaviascott

By "keep filtration", do you mean keeping the pump running in the pond while I'm working on it? If so, I was planning on unplugging the pump once I get the water pumped into the holding pond (I'll just move the fountain end to the pool to divert the water there).

I'm a bit leery of standing in water that has an electric pump in it. I only expect to be in the water about 15 minutes to fix the fold and tape it. Then I'll be pumping the water from the pool back to the pond. Once all the water is in the pond, I'll take the pump out of the pool and place it back into the pond.

4. vestaviascott

qclabrat

can you use the water to hydrate the plants and grass? your pond doesn't appear to be too big, how many gallons are you thinking to remove?

I don't know, but would be concerned if the pool used an agent harmful to fish to keep the plastic pliable during storage.

btw: your pond design is very interesting, I like it!

qclabrat, Jul 31, 2017
  5. vestaviascott

Lisak1

No need to be concerned about anything for that short time - the pool should work great! And your pond is really shaping up!

Lisak1, Jul 31, 2017
    Angel likes this.
  6. vestaviascott

vestaviascott

Appx 500 gallons. Pond is 9 foot long by 4 foot wide by 2 foot deep.

Thanks! I knew it would be a challenge to pull off a contemporary design using a non formed rubber liner - poured in place concrete would have been the obvious choice for a modern geometric pond design, but I had to give it a try! Still working to make that a reality, but its coming along about as good as I could have expected.

7. vestaviascott

qclabrat

I just read through this thread, and saw @Meyer Jordan comment on the block design with the liner sandwiched. Not to hijack this thread, but should liners not be exposed above the water level? I'm still tweaking my own new pond build and wonder whether I need to make some changes to prolong the liner life.

qclabrat, Jul 31, 2017
  8. vestaviascott

vestaviascott

I think its best to hide the liner as much as possible to prevent UV damage. The Firestone EPDM I'm using is supposed to have some measure of UV protection but I'd expect that the less direct UV exposure the better.

qclabrat likes this.
  9. vestaviascott

Lisak1

You definitely want to cover the liner as much as possible, especially if you're trying to create the look of a natural pond.

Lisak1, Jul 31, 2017
    Angel likes this.
  10. vestaviascott

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Oh, I meant in the temporary pool, but it looks like they are not going to be in there very long from what you said.

MoonShadows, Jul 31, 2017
  11. vestaviascott

vestaviascott

Yes, its an hour job max. Just a quick partial drain, fix and refill. After that, the pool probably goes on Craigslist :)

MoonShadows likes this.
  12. vestaviascott

Lisak1

Is water conservation a big concern in your area?

Lisak1, Jul 31, 2017
  13. vestaviascott

vestaviascott

Not particularly, although last year we had the longest draught in generations, so it would certainly have been a big concern then. Things are back to normal this year in terms of expected annual rainfall.

However, in general, it seems if it only costs $30 for a pond to save the water, why not?

Bear in mind, there are no fish in the pond and I'm not going to introduce fish until I have the pond fixed and stabilized.

14. vestaviascott

Lisak1

I assumed the pool would cost more than $30. For that price it would be worth it!

Lisak1, Jul 31, 2017
  15. vestaviascott

Angel

As for an hour or so for a quick repair Temp removal is not needed as others have said.

For $30 get it and hang on to it for those major repairs that will take a day or 2 ( who we kidding when you make the pond bigger) just get a small ish pump and filter for back up and for the temp pool/pond

Angel, Jul 31, 2017
    MoonShadows likes this.
  16. vestaviascott

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Unplug the pump!

Meyer Jordan, Jul 31, 2017
    vestaviascott likes this.
  17. vestaviascott

vestaviascott

Without a doubt :)

18. vestaviascott

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

No really. If this repair is only going to take less than an hour, there is no t need for the water transfer.

Meyer Jordan, Jul 31, 2017
  19. vestaviascott

vestaviascott

We are on the same page. I'd never get into any body of water (in this case, a pond) with an active live electrical appliance (in this case, a submerged water pump). Whenever I'm in the pond for any reason, the pump is unplugged.

My response above was a bit ambiguous given the context, but it was in response to an earlier question.

In fact, as further precaution (to prevent issues of anyone falling into the pond, adults, children, or animals) I will be running a ground wire from the water to a grounding rod. Additionally, the pond pump will be on a dedicated GFCI grounded 20 amp circuit.

By the way, I know you know this but for the purpose of the water transfer is to alleviate pressure on the pond walls to allow work to be done. There is far too much pressure on the pond walls to do any proper movement of the rubber liner. The water will have to be drained by atleast half in order to allow the liner to be moved and taped into the proper fitment.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  20. vestaviascott

Lisak1

Really? I've never worried about it. I figure if there's live current, the fish would show signs of it.

Am I just an idiot?

Lisak1, Jul 31, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question