Using an inflatable pool as a holding pond during maintenance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8a 10°F to 15°F
Country
United States
I've just got my pond filled and pump added to check water levels, flow rate, fountain operation, etc. Some pics included below for reference. Still work to do including adding more rocks to the fountain basin, securing the concrete pavers around the pond and plumbing the pump tubing with 90 deg fittings (the clear hose is temporary).

20431632_1515753805154139_8189411431376940138_n.jpg

20525445_1515753808487472_1417846748791042624_n.jpg

One of my inside corners apparently has slipped below the intended water line and is allowing water to leak out under the liner (I do have a drain below the liner to allow for this sort of thing). As a result, the water level is about 3-4 inches lower than I'd like.

20476278_1515753811820805_5653030119993579520_n.jpg

To fix the corner, I need to drain the water down to about half pool in order to work the corner out and tape it in place to prevent it slipping down again.

In order to conserve water, I'm considering using an inflatable pool to serve as a temporary holding pond for the water I'm draining out.

Here's the pool I'm considering > https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009PU0UQ/

Thoughts?

61sQuQN46BL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Should be fine as long as you keep filtration and/or aeration. After all your hard work, you can empty it, refill it, and take a dip!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8a 10°F to 15°F
Country
United States
By "keep filtration", do you mean keeping the pump running in the pond while I'm working on it? If so, I was planning on unplugging the pump once I get the water pumped into the holding pond (I'll just move the fountain end to the pool to divert the water there).

I'm a bit leery of standing in water that has an electric pump in it. I only expect to be in the water about 15 minutes to fix the fold and tape it. Then I'll be pumping the water from the pool back to the pond. Once all the water is in the pond, I'll take the pump out of the pool and place it back into the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
can you use the water to hydrate the plants and grass? your pond doesn't appear to be too big, how many gallons are you thinking to remove?

I don't know, but would be concerned if the pool used an agent harmful to fish to keep the plastic pliable during storage.

btw: your pond design is very interesting, I like it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No need to be concerned about anything for that short time - the pool should work great! And your pond is really shaping up!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8a 10°F to 15°F
Country
United States
can you use the water to hydrate the plants and grass? your pond doesn't appear to be too big, how many gallons are you thinking to remove?

Appx 500 gallons. Pond is 9 foot long by 4 foot wide by 2 foot deep.

btw: your pond design is very interesting, I like it!
Thanks! I knew it would be a challenge to pull off a contemporary design using a non formed rubber liner - poured in place concrete would have been the obvious choice for a modern geometric pond design, but I had to give it a try! Still working to make that a reality, but its coming along about as good as I could have expected.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I just read through this thread, and saw @Meyer Jordan comment on the block design with the liner sandwiched. Not to hijack this thread, but should liners not be exposed above the water level? I'm still tweaking my own new pond build and wonder whether I need to make some changes to prolong the liner life.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8a 10°F to 15°F
Country
United States
I just read through this thread, and saw @Meyer Jordan comment on the block design with the liner sandwiched. Not to hijack this thread, but should liners not be exposed above the water level? I'm still tweaking my own new pond build and wonder whether I need to make some changes to prolong the liner life.

I think its best to hide the liner as much as possible to prevent UV damage. The Firestone EPDM I'm using is supposed to have some measure of UV protection but I'd expect that the less direct UV exposure the better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You definitely want to cover the liner as much as possible, especially if you're trying to create the look of a natural pond.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
By "keep filtration", do you mean keeping the pump running in the pond while I'm working on it? If so, I was planning on unplugging the pump once I get the water pumped into the holding pond (I'll just move the fountain end to the pool to divert the water there).

I'm a bit leery of standing in water that has an electric pump in it. I only expect to be in the water about 15 minutes to fix the fold and tape it. Then I'll be pumping the water from the pool back to the pond. Once all the water is in the pond, I'll take the pump out of the pool and place it back into the pond.

Oh, I meant in the temporary pool, but it looks like they are not going to be in there very long from what you said.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8a 10°F to 15°F
Country
United States
Is water conservation a big concern in your area?

Not particularly, although last year we had the longest draught in generations, so it would certainly have been a big concern then. Things are back to normal this year in terms of expected annual rainfall.

However, in general, it seems if it only costs $30 for a pond to save the water, why not?

Bear in mind, there are no fish in the pond and I'm not going to introduce fish until I have the pond fixed and stabilized.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
As for an hour or so for a quick repair Temp removal is not needed as others have said.

For $30 get it and hang on to it for those major repairs that will take a day or 2 ( who we kidding when you make the pond bigger) just get a small ish pump and filter for back up and for the temp pool/pond

Ask a Question