Using cement on waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I'm bit confused as to wether it's safe to use cement over a liner on a waterfall as I hear that it contains lime in it wich could leech into pond and create problems
Any advice please

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
smhello.gif
welcome to the group
Some people say cement/concrete raises ph, some say it doesn't, it really depends who you're talking to
I was told the same thing in the beginning, so I removed all the concrete pots I had in the pond, but then nothing happened, the ph didn't get lower so I put them all back and I haven't had any problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 105385 welcome to the group
Some people say cement/concrete raises ph, some say it doesn't, it really depends who you're talking to
I was told the same thing in the beginning, so I removed all the concrete pots I had in the pond, but then nothing happened, the ph didn't get lower so I put them all back and I haven't had any problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there thanks for you're advice last thing I need is poorly fish I think I will go for cement over liner on waterfall

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Mostly lime contains calcium so it will only raise the KH which would of course raise the pH to a stabilized value. I don't believe it will raise the KH to a level that it should be, about 8 alkalinity or higher; I guess it depends how much is exposed but I don't think it is much either way.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi there thanks for you're advice last thing I need is poorly fish I think I will go for cement over liner on waterfall
I'd worry more over the cement ripping the liner than anything else
oh and can we see pics?
You could make a showcase so we can follow your project :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd worry more over the cement ripping the liner than anything else
oh and can we see pics?
You could make a showcase so we can follow your project :)
Yeh I plan to post piccys eventually have taken loads from project start

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
One reason cement on waterfall can be bad is if you get a leak and have to break up cement .It has been brought up on here several times .It leaks and becomes a nightmare to take apart

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi and welcome! If you use Portland cement which is the most popular cement product then everything will be fine and there will be no chance of leaching lime. Some people actually build liner free ponds just out of cement without any problems.

Ask a Question