using chicken wire

Reaction score
well i failed again the netting again dipped into the pond due tot he weight of the snow.

next year i was going to builda square dome over the pond using 2 x 4's and chicken wire insteaf of netting. i figure that will stabalize.

is anyone currently doing that, my question is rust. im afraid that the metal from the chicken wire may bleed into the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use chicken wire around my railing
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:57771]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52906]
on the front porch to keep chihuahuas from falling off and it has been up over 3 years now no rust yet

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have made a wooden frame to cover my pond twenty years ago, and I stapled heavy duty plastic to the frame like a green house roof. I only did it the one year as that spring there was mold / fungus growing all over liner and even the fish from the cover on the pond being on too long. As soon as I took the cover off with days the sun shone nice threw the water without the plastic and burnt off all the mold and fungus quickly. The fish were all fine and they never seemed sick because of funny fungus or mold, and it left fish quick and they were not harmed.

I think the winters are too long here and covering the pond contributed to the mold / fungus growing on everything that year. Fish have been outside here in zone 2/3 for over 22 years now and never covered the pond again. I never got the fungus ever again either....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Try it 76 and if it rusts then toss that idea,chicken wire is cheap :biggrin:

Did you ever try deer fencing?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
metal electrical conduit across the pond and netting on top of it
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:60809]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:40690]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:40690]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im worried about rats and pests using the pond as a drinking area. Can pvc coated chicken wire keep them away too? Does anyone have any pictures of their pond with the chicken wire? how does it look? Also I have solar pumps in it. Will it block out the sun? whats best for fish in winter as I don't want the pond to freeze over?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1656174663739.gif
@Li Oshon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im worried about rats and pests using the pond as a drinking area. Can pvc coated chicken wire keep them away too? Does anyone have any pictures of their pond with the chicken wire? how does it look? Also I have solar pumps in it. Will it block out the sun? whats best for fish in winter as I don't want the pond to freeze over?
I have plastic covered wire on my pond and it’s ok but I need something more rigid so it doesn’t sag in the water maybe some sort of chicken wire and I have a filter and pump on mine so it doesn’t freeze all of it as the running water stops it from doing this

Attachments

• 621E4FCA-E10D-4A02-81FC-79AAA94F0B08.jpeg
    621E4FCA-E10D-4A02-81FC-79AAA94F0B08.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 14

Ask a Question