MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The test kit I bought only has pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Phosphate test. I'd have to get one for kH.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yeah, that's why in post 11 I suggested you get the GH and KH kits too. The Phosphate may eventually be useful as well when you have fish or plants. The kit you bought is great for monitoring the water as you start up the pond, but to really understand what's going on, you need a few more tests.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Arrgh...just went back and read post 11. I never even noticed you suggested that. I'll order it. Thanks!

BTW...just looked at you Pond showcases....a training pond and that beautiful one you built. I'm considering this one I ordered as my "learning pond". Who knows what the future will bring.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan My API Pondmaster Test Kit arrived on my porch last night. I tested my water this morning for pH.

Before filters: 6.0
After filters: 7.2 ish...Looks to be between the 7.0 and 7.5 colors on the chart.

Either reading is a satisfactory Hardness, although the "7.2ish" is the better.

Having a KH value as well would be very useful since that will tell you how stable that pH is likely to be.

OK, got the KH/GH test kit and tested the water.

KH
Before filters: 36
After filters: 90

GH
Before filters: 90
After filters: 107

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
OK, got the KH/GH test kit and tested the water.

KH
Before filters: 36
After filters: 90

GH
Before filters: 90
After filters: 107

Apparently your filters are bolstering the Alkalinity (KH) and Hardness (GH) of the water. This is good and answers your original question. These are acceptable levels.
Since these two parameters are being influenced by the filters, it would be a good idea to periodically check these two values.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks, Meyer.

A week ago, I decided to try an "experiment". I pulled out one of my old 10 gallon aquariums and filled it with after-filter water. I added the appropriate amount of ammonia to start a fishless cycle. After a week, the ammonia is starting to drop, and the nitrites are starting to rise. Today, I decided to test the pH, and it was about 8.0. Should I be concerned that the pH is rising?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Thanks, Meyer.

A week ago, I decided to try an "experiment". I pulled out one of my old 10 gallon aquariums and filled it with after-filter water. I added the appropriate amount of ammonia to start a fishless cycle. After a week, the ammonia is starting to drop, and the nitrites are starting to rise. Today, I decided to test the pH, and it was about 8.0. Should I be concerned that the pH is rising?

Did you happen to notice what the water temperature was in your 10 gallon?

Ask a Question