Using quilt Batting

Reaction score
Hi All - My pond is now doing really good. Got 4 little koi... all happy, eating and enjoying. All the pond test results are good, but my water is not really clear because I had the uv filter off while treating the pond for ich. All that is over now, and I see it is getting clearer every day. I also have been putting the quilt batting under the falls. Here are my questions: Can I use the cotton or the polyester batting? Does it matter? Also, what do I do when it gets really dirty? Can I wash it out with my hose and put it back in again? I don't have to throw it out, do I? I had cotton batting.. now bought some new polyester, which seems like it might work better. Thanks! :banana:
003.jpg008.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep hose it off and have extra I soak it in peroxide and water and then put it back in and sometimes I just dry it in the sun .I let it out ripped up for the birds after it starts falling apart ,it makes great nests

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I tried wash it out but then it gets so thin and it never get clean enough for me.. I just chaned it to a new one... I dont really like doing that though, feel wasteful :(

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you hose off the heavy stuff and lay it out in the sun to bake for a day and then soak it in peroxide and water it cleans up great .I fold mine real neat and usually a 3 fold and only unfold it after I rinse it off and let it bake , and when I put it in the bucket to soak I fold it back up and after that nice and soaking wet with the mixture it goes back into the filter .I also put reusable furnace filter I cut in squares (2 layers )on top to catch the heavy stuff and this way the quilt batting only picks up the light fine stuff .But I do have to watch the bigger birds they see the quilt batting and want it for there nests .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Would work as long as there are no detergents left in it ,like bleach products .My neighbor used a towel for a quick fix and it worked

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my neighbor used a brand new towel ,how dumb .I was away and she saw it was cloudy and just put it in . :cheerful:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I just bought batting that is made from recycles soda bottles. Works great! I found that the natural cotton batting starts to fall apart after a few uses.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
shad3rd said:
I just bought batting that is made from recycles soda bottles. Works great! I found that the natural cotton batting starts to fall apart after a few uses.

The stuff I used was poly, cotton would fall apart pretty fast

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
shad3rd said:
Do NOT use cotton, it will break down in the water, adding to your bio-load.
John

Ask a Question