using submerged green oak beams in natural swimming pool

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi, I am currently building a natural swimming pool following the methods of David Pagen Butler, if people are familiar with him. We are planning to put untreated oak beams on the top of the retaining wall, submerged fully in the water. We are a little worried about the tannins in the oak as we think they may make the water really brown and not look nice at all. Has anyone any experience of doing this, please? Many thanks for any advice.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
welcomeflowrs.gif

I am familiar with him and his work from http://organicpools.co.uk/ and YouTube videos. I've love the natural swimming pools he builds. Why not write to him about the oak beams. His email is public... (e-mail address removed)

How exciting that you are taking on this project. I hope you post pics of your natural swimming pool as you progress. I, and I am sure others here, would love to see them.

For those of you not familiar with him, here is one of his pools
natural-pool-larger-1024x682.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
France
Thank you - yes I have emailed him but no reply as yet. This is pretty much what we are making ourselves in the picture you have posted. Once we have finished (seems a long way off!!!) we will post some pics :)

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Too bad you haven't heard back from him. I would imagine even if the tannins colored the water initially, eventually the water would clear from the natural biological activity.

Post as you go...we would love to see the progress.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have you checked what kind of wood they use for docks on lakes because I know here Bedford and Smith Mountain Lake have a code of what kind of wood is safe to be used for docks and the anchor systems so they can keep the lakes safe and the water clear .They have a lot of docks at both lakes .

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
According to Fisheries and Oceans Canada, the best wood boards for building a dock are Western red cedar, redwood, cypress and eastern white cedar. Permanent dock piles or dock cribs should use stronger hardwoods, including Douglas fir, tamarack and hemlock. Western larch, spruce and pine can substitute in the construction of permanent piles when the previously mentioned hardwoods are not available in sufficient quantity.

I use Tamarack (Larch) for my raised gardens. The stuff just does not rot and there are no chemicals/preservatives like pressure treated. Tamarack grows most commonly in moist areas such as swamps, bogs, streams, and the edges of lakes. Don't know how readily available it is in France.

Ask a Question