Using sump pump water to fill pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I wanted to get some opinions on using my basement sump pump dump out to keep my pond filled from evaporation and waterfall splash out. I dont have to refill too often but when its hot for a few days Ill get some evaporation. My waterfall is at descent height and even though there arent any leaks or vegetation diversions, I have minimal splash off the double spill. With that being said, water where I live cost more than beer so I was thinking of extending my dump out with a PVC pipe into the pond. I didnt put a skimmer in the pond on purpose because I didnt want to constantly monitor the water level. I also purposely made a low edge for runout in case of excessive rainfall. My pond is always crystal clear as I add good bacteria routinely and also a water conditioner. I would continue my normal chemical routine and most importantly noted my sump only dumps out a few times a day during dry times. When it rains, obviously more. Any input would be great...thanks in advance

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We do exactly that. When we plumbed the pond, we diverted the sump pump into the rain exchange which is where our pump lives. We've been doing it for five years now with no issues. We do have the ability to send the water back out to the storm sewer in case we have excessive rainfall and too much water. This year was the first summer we had to turn the switch on that one!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
We do exactly that. When we plumbed the pond, we diverted the sump pump into the rain exchange which is where our pump lives. We've been doing it for five years now with no issues. We do have the ability to send the water back out to the storm sewer in case we have excessive rainfall and too much water. This year was the first summer we had to turn the switch on that one!

Thank you Lisa. Im going to do this. Should save me some money and I like the idea of making a diversion in case of excessive rainfall. Thanks for the reply and thanks for the idea

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No problem. Our water cost is high here too, so we were looking for ways to keep the pond full as cheaply as possible. This summer has been great - lots and lots of rainfall... or as we like to call it FREE WATER!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Lisa did you ever get your sump pump water tested? I was discussing the idea today with a friend thats a plumber. He has no background in caring for a pond and fish but he brought up an interesting point. He said you want to introduce basement sump pump water to the pond with fish in it but you never know what can be in that water. Sulfur, high levels of chlorine, ammonia. Etc. He even went a step further and said even if you get the water tested whos to say after a rainfall the sump pump water will be consistent to the water you previously had tested. Onviously your water is okay since you havent had a problem but do you believe there is any truth with his logic?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm... It's rain water. Same stuff that falls from the sky. Which is probably filled with all kinds of stuff, right? I mean, it does filter through the ground, so I guess it could pick up minerals or whatever on its way through. But no. We never worried about it. We've used it to water our gardens for years with no bad outcome so I figure it's good clean water. And I doubt you'd have to worry about chlorine or ammonia. We use no chemicals in our yard at all, so no worries there either.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
You make a solid point Lisa. Im going to buy the piping and do this next week

Ask a Question