Using the internet on your laptop with your smartphone

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I found this smartphone app that will allow you to use your laptop to surf the net anywhere you can use your smart phone. It is called PDANET, I gave it a try this last week when we went on vacation to florida and it worked great, the wife was able to use it in the car and then when we got to our condo we used it down there. Sure beats having to go to a Mcd's or find a library that offers free wifi. I used the trial version which is secure for a two week trial and after that it won't be secure or you can buy it for a one time fee of $15.95 and it is secure all the time.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My phone is not that smart anymore..........around 10 years old lol, but works! Don't use it enough to justify a new one.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I use Tether with my Storm2 Blackberry to link up my laptop at work. That way I'm not on the company network. It is also usefull on the road and on camping trips. Tether is a little more expensive than PDANET. Does it allow you to tether without a fee to the phone priovider?
Without Tether, I would have to pay Verizon for tethering on top of the $30 a month for unlimited access.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
feel the same way addy used to use cell phone all the time now retired not that much .Just in case of emergency or a car problem on the road .I don't text hate that when people are always texting and not talking .Love seeing mothers in grocery store 4 kids 4 phones and they are using a food stamp card and driving a brand new vehicle and wear 100 dollar or more jeans and carrying a pocket book that cost more than the groceries I'm buying .Good ole U.S.A. give it away and we cannot use in god bless America because people think it's prejudice .Where did god go put at a missing persons report and all state on him .Would be easy to spot

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
DrDave said:
I use Tether with my Storm2 Blackberry to link up my laptop at work. That way I'm not on the company network. It is also usefull on the road and on camping trips. Tether is a little more expensive than PDANET. Does it allow you to tether without a fee to the phone priovider?
Without Tether, I would have to pay Verizon for tethering on top of the $30 a month for unlimited access.

DrDave I use verizon as well and I did some research before using and could not find where there would be any additonal charge from the carrier, I have the unlimited data plan and just used the trial version on PDANET for going on vacation. Are you happy with Tether?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My DH and I both had a cell phone each but I hardly ever used mine so I just quit paying for it. It was one of those wal-mart straight talk phones (Verizon) you get 1000 mins for $30. per month. Now that DH has retired we just share his :confused:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
taherrmann4 said:
DrDave I use verizon as well and I did some research before using and could not find where there would be any additonal charge from the carrier, I have the unlimited data plan and just used the trial version on PDANET for going on vacation. Are you happy with Tether?

I am happy with Tether's software. When I tried to tether using a usb and the software that Blackberry provides, I ran into a wall at Verizon that clearly wanted more money for that service. The Tether program gets around it somehow. One of the Verizon cops I know on another forum told me they know when you are tethering due to data compression. He also said that as long as I don't use too much bandwidth, they will leave me alone.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
My DH and I both had a cell phone each but I hardly ever used mine so I just quit paying for it. It was one of those wal-mart straight talk phones (Verizon) you get 1000 mins for $30. per month. Now that DH has retired we just share his :)

I have verizon, pay $100 a year, can't recall the minutes, but never run out lol.
Pay as you go, if I do get chatty just have to pay some more, so far has never happened.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
addy1 said:
I have verizon, pay $100 a year, can't recall the minutes, but never run out lol.
Pay as you go, if I do get chatty just have to pay some more, so far has never happened.

Hey addy if you figure out the name of the plan and how many minutes let me know cuz I might consider it for the future, thanks :bouncycig:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
JW
If you can talk them into it, get the Nationwide Loyalty Plan. I have Unlimited Internet Data, but only 20 minutes phone a month. $52 month. I get my email as well. In 18 years, I have never exceeded the 20 minutes.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have Ntelos and for 2 phones 500 minutes it is 40 dollars a month thats it

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
DrDave said:

DrDave are you still satisfied with Tether and are you still not paying a fee to Verizon? Looking at getting this.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
That is correct! Tether is a little slow, so you have to put up with that, but overall, it beats not getting online at all.
Since Verizon stopped its unlimited use for everyone except existing customers, I am happy to have both.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I use easytether on my droid phone, I think the app was $10 or something like that, but I have also rooted my phone, which alows to to be used as a wifi hotspot so I can connect my laptop in multiples ways if I like.

I use it ALL the time, I got rid of my internet at home 2 years ago when droid came out and I bought this phone. Unfotunately, since verizon is getting rid of unlimited data (probably because of people like me :) using ridiculous amounts of data a month) and I'm getting sick of paying $200 for our two phones. We are getting rid of the smartphones and going with straight talk. It won't be a smartphone, but so what if I can't post on facebook from the bathroom.

Ask a Question