Using Tote for Inside Fry

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Looking for some help with using a tote for 8 Fry inside my house. I bought this one at the Depot and have been struggling on it's safety. I have to get the little into a bigger home very soon. I have a bunch of pics with different options and an answer I found on the website where someone asked if it help water to use as fish tub. When I added water it bowed, so I made the framed around it. Under the frame was real tight, so I worried if that was worse pressure than just letting it bow. So the questions are, it is chemically safe? What is the Rep. talking about when he mentions the water seal gasket? Does he mean the top or bottom? If it's safe, should I use it with or without the frame strapping? Also can I put a 100W Aqueon Heater in there? If so should I put a piece of PVC over the heating element or will it be fine attached to the tote as a tank? Last photo is one of the ends--shorter section.

I was going to use the 40 gal. Tuff Stuff from Tractor Trailer, but it has a very strong odor to it and I can't have it in the house. So I need a tote of some kind. It is for about a month or 2 till they go in the pond.
Tote-1.jpg
tote.JPG
tote-3.jpg
tote-4.jpg
tote-9.jpg
tote-10.jpg
tote-11.jpg
tote-8.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
It looks like it would work, especially with the wooden frame you've built. I've seen simple sets up with a a perforated pipe over the top and a trickle type filter.

Why do you think you need a heater? Is there a reason they can't be in the pond now?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Why do you think you need a heater? Is there a reason they can't be in the pond now?
Same questions.

I did a tote for fry a few years ago. Something very similar to what you’re doing, but outside. I made a simple trickle tower that worked very well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Looks like that wooden frame will be great for support.
Why exactly are you looking to separate the fry? Are you afraid they will get eaten by other fish?
Are you raising them to give away or sell?
Are the parents a high quality special strain of fish?
Plenty of mine survive. In fact, too many!
My pond has become overcrowded from the fish multiplying. I just let nature take it's course. I counted a dozen new ones and just the other day I saw two more really tiny ones, maybe 1/4" long. I really don't need more fish!
What's funny is I don't think my fish eat the fry. I have goldfish, shubunkin and some really huge koi and the fry just swim all over the place. The big fish don't bother them. When I throw food, the little guys eat with the big ones.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
It looks like it would work, especially with the wooden frame you've built. I've seen simple sets up with a a perforated pipe over the top and a trickle type filter.

To small and to help with Immunity. It is mainly the bottom I was concerned about as it has those cutouts and doesn't fit flush

I did a tote for fry a few years ago. Something very similar to what you’re doing, but outside. I made a simple trickle tower that worked very well.
[/QUOTE]
My temps are not stable enough to keep a small body of water outside.

Why exactly are you looking to separate the fry? Are you afraid they will get eaten by other fish?
My pond has become overcrowded from the fish multiplying. I just let nature take it's course. I counted a dozen new ones and just the other day I saw two more really tiny ones, maybe 1/4" long. I really don't need more fish!
What's funny is I don't think my fish eat the fry. I have goldfish, shubunkin and some really huge koi and the fry just swim all over the place. The big fish don't bother them. When I throw food, the little guys eat with the big ones.

The fry are to small. I accidentally sucked the eggs up in the vacuum so brought them in. There are only 8, none survived in pond as no hiding spots really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here's a question for you - why not just buy a small aquarium and be done with it? 8 small fry would do fine in a small tank for a month or two. Designed to hold water, you can put a small filter on it. And no need to heat it if they are goldfish in the house.

Just a thought...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
1. The frame will not cause water pressure issues. The water will simply be displaced upwards rather than out to the sides. Structurally, the frame will support the plastic well.

2. The plastic is most likely safe for fish. A lot of people use PVC in their aquariums despite the fact that it's not technically fish safe. This is because it degrades so slowly it doesn't really matter. I would be very surprised if there are plastic totes that aren't safe enough for fish, to be honest.

3. Keep the tote on a raised surface so you can use airline tubing and a bucket to perform spot-cleanings and water changes via siphon. Airline tubing is small enough that you can easily aim to avoid the fish--but it's gentle enough that if any are sucked through, they will simply land in the bucket and can be transfered back.

4. There's probably no need for a heater. I have raised fry inside in a much smaller aquarium than that tote and never had problems with temperature issues. Is there some reason your house is particularly prone to temperature swings? As for immune systems, goldfish immune systems are fully functional at 60 degrees or greater. I kept fry in my "ice prison" basement, where the water is regularly between 62-64 degrees and they are fine (just moved them out to the big ponds this summer, in fact!)

5. Don't be anxioius! I've raised 2 batches of fry. It's a lot of fun, extremely rewarding, and if we're talking about pond goldfish here, they are are tough as beans!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
1. The frame will not cause water pressure issues. The water will simply be displaced upwards rather than out to the sides. Structurally, the frame will support the plastic well.

2. The plastic is most likely safe for fish. A lot of people use PVC in their aquariums despite the fact that it's not technically fish safe. This is because it degrades so slowly it doesn't really matter. I would be very surprised if there are plastic totes that aren't safe enough for fish, to be honest.

3. Keep the tote on a raised surface so you can use airline tubing and a bucket to perform spot-cleanings and water changes via siphon. Airline tubing is small enough that you can easily aim to avoid the fish--but it's gentle enough that if any are sucked through, they will simply land in the bucket and can be transfered back.

4. There's probably no need for a heater. I have raised fry inside in a much smaller aquarium than that tote and never had problems with temperature issues. Is there some reason your house is particularly prone to temperature swings? As for immune systems, goldfish immune systems are fully functional at 60 degrees or greater. I kept fry in my "ice prison" basement, where the water is regularly between 62-64 degrees and they are fine (just moved them out to the big ponds this summer, in fact!)

5. Don't be anxioius! I've raised 2 batches of fry. It's a lot of fun, extremely rewarding, and if we're talking about pond goldfish here, they are are tough as beans!
Thank you! Actually they are koi fry. Same thing, right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Ask a Question