Using Tote for Inside Fry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pond with lots of fry in it too. Lost a few bigger fish this year in the heat wave but not too worried about replacing them as they're breeding so well! Lots of shobumpkin fry and gold fish and six from last year now four inches and changing colour, lovely to watch them grow. As was commented, doesn't seem to be a problem with survival!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I had lots of fry last year when my water was pea green, this year, 4 survived but they were eggs that got sucked into the skimmer and transported to my upper, small pond, that only has red luigia, hornwort and snails, no fish. I did not even no they were in there until I thinned out some of the plants and there they were. Sinced then they swam into the big pond and are doing great. They are my only black shubunkins. Although in the last few weeks they have turned a nice green color. I think they maybe changing to yellow. It is so interesting watching nature work. Who would have guessed the eggs could make there way though the pump, through all the pipes and hatch. Love nature.
See the upper pond below. 2 Feet deep and full of hornwort and red luigia.

Attachments

• IMG_8677.jpeg
    IMG_8677.jpeg
    409.5 KB · Views: 81
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It does happen! Several years ago we found a fish swimming in the upper pool area, so obviously it had come through the plumbing since there are no fish up there. Somehow lived in that shallow (4 - 6" average depth) area all summer until we found him in the fall & relocated him to the main body of the pond. He's now our largest koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you! Actually they are koi fry. Same thing, right?

I totally agree with the survival of the fittest answer by poconojoe. I have kept goldfish more than 10 years. I have at least 50 goldfish in my pond currently that were born in the pond with no help from me. Unless you are going to get in the fish selling business you will quickly have way more fish than you can handle if you isolate and care for the fry. Also are you willing to cull the fry to eliminate fish that are either deformed or don’t exhibit good color or shape? In Japan only about 1 Koi in 1000 make it through the culling process.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely to hear all your new news about fish fry! The yougsters that I have from last year are changing colour too. The shobumpkin are grey blue with pink head parts very mottled and pretty. There are two, and two gold fish and two that are still black. As you say very interesting to spend an hour watching them. Happy to announce, our fish have recovered their bounce now the weather has cooled down.

Ask a Question