Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
As an owner of three UTV vehicles now and about 15 years driving off-road (and even surviving a crash or two ;)) experience I have learnt and created a few tricks along the way and here are two that might help you.
12295476_973962562639962_5119873342490702701_n (1).jpg

Tip one: Oil Changes:
An oil change is annoying enough in a regular road vehicle but in a off-roader that has a v-twin 4x4 will be a bit tougher on all maintenance aspects including oil.
My trick ? Filtration.
You can go to any restaurant supply shop and buy what is known as an oil filter/strainer for about 20 bucks for a box of 15. These are designed to filter cooking oil but if you let your engine run and warm up the engines oil it can easily be filtered also and this will remove any debris that have accumulated mainly carbon and sometime very small metal fragments. By doing this not only does it extend the life of the oil but it means you are not running all that :poop: through your engine like you would while simply waiting till a full change before clearing it from the engine. My experience has shown that out of a 755 CC engine with a 3.64 Qt oil capacity I only have to add about 2/10 of a quart after filtration and it extends the overall life of the oil by about 7 months or 45 - 65 hours.

Tip two: Carburetor/Air intake filtration
Although air filters can be cleaned with air many many times before replacement is needed the fact remains that they don't stop 100% of debris from entering the intake and into the carburetor or injectors.
My trick? Petroleum jelly
When you clean your air filter look around the edges of it where air can slip in around the filter thereby bypassing it. Take a small amount of the jelly and apply it around those seams and you will be surprised by all the crap it catches and holds next time you do a filter clean or blow-out. Simply remove the filter as normal and wipe away the sludge filled jelly with a rag and then apply a new amount and continue.
(If your UTV is a 2-stroke then this does not apply. Also you should have at least a general working knowledge of the mechanics of an engine as well as the time to follow through exactly as needed with the maintenance. This will not work for every engine but if you will give me a serial number/model number or name of engine I will check the specs to make sure it fits the scope of these tips)

Ask a Question