UV and Ballast

Reaction score
Country
United States
How long does the UV and the ballast generally last? I had to replace mine in about a 2 year period for the ballast and every year on the UV light.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
UV bulbs a generally good for only a year. They begin losing effectiveness with the first monent that they are turned on. In other words, the more that you use it, the shorter the useful life of the bulb.Also, the warmer the climate, the shorter the life of the bulb
Ballast life varies with quality of manufacturing. Most premature ballast failure is caused by exposure to moisture.

Reaction score
How long does the UV and the ballast generally last? I had to replace mine in about a 2 year period for the ballast and every year on the UV light.
I gather you must be leaving your unit on all the time. Are you sure that is necessary? Does your pond water rapidly turn green if you turn it off?
Most well maintained established ponds only require the UV light on for a few weeks in the Spring at most, some don't require a UV at all, and of course some people don't mind their ponds turning green for a while then clearing up on their own.
If all you really need or want is to turn in on for a few weeks in the spring then your UV light (and Ballast) could conceivable work for decades,,,,, providing it is well protected from the moisture, as Meyer mentioned.

Reaction score
Country
United States
UV bulbs a generally good for only a year. They begin losing effectiveness with the first monent that they are turned on. In other words, the more that you use it, the shorter the useful life of the bulb.Also, the warmer the climate, the shorter the life of the bulb
Ballast life varies with quality of manufacturing. Most premature ballast failure is caused by exposure to moisture.
Thanks so much!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You also can't bang the ballast around .My neighbor hit hers against the post on her deck and it wasn't that hard but the ballast went out .She thought she damaged the bulb but testing continuity proved it was the ballast

Reaction score
Country
United States
You also can't bang the ballast around .My neighbor hit hers against the post on her deck and it wasn't that hard but the ballast went out .She thought she damaged the bulb but testing continuity proved it was the ballast
Thanks!

Ask a Question