uv and green water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
We finally gave in and bought UV for our 8x12 1500 gal water garden. We were totally frustrated with green soup water. We converted our bio filter to the skippy with the hope that this would take care of our problem. No such luck. This thing has been running for the last 2 days. Someone please tell us how long before we will see some results. The pond store we bought it from said maybe a week! Anyone???

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
there are so many factors to this question, how big is your filter? do you do maintainence dosing of bacteria? are you in full sun? do you use barly products? how many fish are in your pond? how quickly is your pond turned over thru the filter?... heres some basic tips that will help...
cut down on the sunlight.. shade the pond, use pond dye, lots of plants(they shade the pond and compete for the same food the algea eats
cut down on feeding your fish or even stop for a week.. this will help cut down on nutrients in the water
if you fertilize your plants.. make sure its not bleeding into water
use barley products... preferrably extract
my 9 watt tetrapond u.v. cleared my water in 3 days, but it wasnt totally green(pea soup) my pond at the time was 500gals
maybe your filter is just not big enough
this may help... i hope so ... GOOD LUCK!!!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Put some pillow batting under your waterfall to help get some of the soup out.

Reaction score
The UV light kills the algae so you need a good filter to get it out of the water. I agree with koiguy Quilt batting does a great job. I can take as much as 2 weeks befor you see a change but then it will clear up fast. Keep filtering until you plants get growing "if you have them" if not once you get it under control just keep a good filter up and running.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
actually that was dr case's suggestion, but yeah, you can fill an old laundry basket with fiber fill or batting and strap it up under your waterfall, maybe add a little flocculant to the pond to make it easier to catch the dead algea before it feeds the next cycle.

Ask a Question