UV clarifier -need help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings!
I have a 5 year old 700-800 gallon pond with a 3-4 foot waterfall. The skimmer/filter box has a pump that pumps the water to a waterfall box at the top of the falls where it goes thru 2 more layers of filter.
I have 2 red earred slider turtles who devour any type of water plant I have tried, so I have pretty green water from algae. I was given a 20watt pondmaster UV clarifier to try and I would love some advice!
I have a 2nd pump ( 1000 gph) that I placed in the waterfall box and connected the UV light to it. I have a temp hose connected to uv outlet that runs down the waterfall.
My 3 questions:
1) is the 1000 gph pump too powerful for UV effectiveness? If so, can I put a valve between the pump and uv light to decrease flow rate without damaging the pump?
2) how long should it be before I see the water starting to clear?
3) the pondmaster UV unit wasnt marked for input or output...does it matter which end I connect the pump to?
Thanks bunches for reading and any advice you may have for me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 4.44.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 4.44.27 PM.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 200

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
According to Pondmaster. for clarifying this UV will handle flow rates up to 1800 gph. However, the lower the flow rate the more effective a UV is. You should get good results with the 1000 gph pump.

Reaction score
Country
United States
According to Pondmaster. for clarifying this UV will handle flow rates up to 1800 gph. However, the lower the flow rate the more effective a UV is. You should get good results with the 1000 gph pump.
Thanks...that is why I purchased the pump, but 30 hour later no good results!

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
usually on u.v.s the water goes in the top part where the power cord is and comes out thee bottom where there is no cord

Reaction score
Yes you can add a valve to slow the rate down and I would do so. No it doesn't matter which end the water enters or exits. You should see results in a few days if not either the water is going too fast or the bulb is old and needs to be replaced. If the light is on 24-7 then it should be replaced every year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes you can add a valve to slow the rate down and I would do so. No it doesn't matter which end the water enters or exits. You should see results in a few days if not either the water is going too fast or the bulb is old and needs to be replaced. If the light is on 24-7 then it should be replaced every year.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Brand new! I am currently traveling and will post results from pond clarifier when I get home later today. Thank you

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the answers to all my questions! Much appreciated. Bulb is brand new. I am currently out of town but will let you know the results when I get home later today

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is how it looks today...clearer, but still a little green.

Attachments

• IMG_4441.JPG
    IMG_4441.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 186

Ask a Question