UV Clarifier Needed

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to the forum as you can see but I have been reading a lot and there is a wealth of information on this website. Let me tell you a little about my pond and my problem.

I have ~ 2200 gallon pond which has about 70-80% sun about 8 hours a day. I have 10 small koi (2-4"), 3 medium koi (6-7") and 3 large koi (13", 16" and 18"). I have about 20 water hyacinths in the pond. I have a 2000 GPH pump pumping water4 feet high in to my bio filter (150 gallon rubbermaid stock tank) and then flowing under gravity back to the pond via a rock waterfall. I have made a skippy filter by reading koiguys instructions but after 4 weeks of the water running, I still do not have clear water. It is light green and brown in color and I suspect it is the Microbe lift Sludge away that I put to spike the bacteria. The problem is that the brown/green water has never been clear after I added the Sludge away. My water params are all good but just the water is not clear and I cannot see my koi.

I want to ask for recommendations for a UV clarifier to help clear the water. I have 1.5" fittings, seems the Tetra 18W sounds perfect for me. It says it is good for 4400 gallons so it is more than what I need, so I think I'd be covered adequately. What do you guys feel and has anyone used this brand before for this sized pond?

Sachin

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
4 weeks is not long, it takes 6 weeks for the bacteria to get a good hold in your filter anyway. With the weather cooling off at night, your average pond temp should be below 80 now, or very soon in the Bay area. As it drops below 70, your bacteria growth rate will slow tremendously. I don't forsee you getting clear water by bacteria this year, with such a late start. UV would be the way to get fast clarity, but keep monitoring your water parameters, particularly ammonia with such large koi, clear doesn't always mean good.

I filled mine in April, it has cycled back and forth a few times. Be very careful of water changes, that you do them regularly and dechlorinate every time. Be sure to chech pH and kH after each significant water change. Although UV will do it, patience will also do the clearing job, but we're talking about next summer, after your bacteria establishes in the spring. If you gotta do UV, I personally like Laguna products, but the Tetra stuff I've used has been pretty good, too.

Welcome to the forum, and best of luck to you.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
a 9 watt tetrapond clears my pond in a few days at 1200 gal so the 18 watt should serve you well....but it is late in the season to expect any real results this year. i only run my u.v for a week or so in spring, this is just before or as my fish come back outside in May. my water is crystal clear the rest of the season.

Reaction score
Thank you guys. I will buy the 18W tetra pond. Do we have anyone in the forum who can sell me one that you know of?

Another quesiton for my own knowledge. Why do you say that if it is cooler that there is no real benefit at this time of the year? Do you guys mean that after I get my UV, I will still not have crystal clear water this year? If yes, why?

Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_1142_1.jpg
    IMG_1142_1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1145.jpg
    IMG_1145.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 252
Reaction score
Has anyone use Microbe Lift Sludge away on their ponds? I was told be the retailed that it is much better than PL and gets your water very active? I feel that my water has turned brown/green because of it. Any thoughts?

Ask a Question