UV clarifier vs sterilizer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
i will be picking up some pond equipment Tuesday and was intending to get a UV unit. After researching the two different unit types, I am not sure which to get. My pond will have about 1800 gallons not counting water in bog and bio filter. Plan to have goldfish in pond with lilli pads. Plants in bog.
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
My wife is the plant wizard in my family and wants a UV unit so I will be getting one. I believe the bog will eventually keep algae out but the first few months may benefit from UV.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well just remind her that any algae you kill with the UV ends up in the system. And dead algae feeds more algae. I also question what other single cell pond creatures are affected by passing by the UV.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
So the output of the UV unit should go through the bog filter instead of being returned to pond? I will be very interested to hear other folks thoughts on UV. It was a part of my water filtration system on my salt and freshwater tanks. Don’t even remember why I started using them.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 UV units. Got them when we built the ponds up to a decent size. Have not used them in several years. Let nature do her thing!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree with Lisa, Mrsclem, let nature do it’s thing and skip the UV. It kills the phytoplankton in the pond and prevents establishing populations of it for the base of the food chain in your pond.

No real benefit of using one in the beginning other than for aesthetics, the green water you will inevitably get in the pond will disappear on its own. Thus, in letting nature do its thing you establish the base of the food chain in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Looks like the only difference between the two is the speed with which water passes through the UV unit. Fast kills green algae, slow kills pathogens, parasites and green algae. So thinking of using a valve to divert a portion of pump output through unit for green algae issues but have the capability to increase flow rate is parasites/pathogens are a problem. Output of UV unit goes into bottom of bog so dead stuff feeds the bog.

Reaction score
Well just remind her that any algae you kill with the UV ends up in the system. And dead algae feeds more algae. I also question what other single cell pond creatures are affected by passing by the UV.
On the other hand, if you can prevent an algae bloom in the first place with a UV unit you'll have a lot less dead algae to feed new algae.
Looks like the only difference between the two is the speed with which water passes through the UV unit. Fast kills green algae, slow kills pathogens, parasites and green algae.
You nailed it.
Output of UV unit goes into bottom of bog so dead stuff feeds the bog.
I wouldn't worry about feeding the bog with dead stuff, but one thing to keep in mind is that a UV "sterilizer" can kill the nitrifying bacteria that you want to culture in your bog. Better to plumb your UV so it is the last thing in your line before the water returns to the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have a UV, but haven't used it this summer. I wouldn't hesitate to use it if my water was green, as our pond season is short. I wonder if it's more helpful on newer ponds that haven't developed their bio system ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
A sterilizer is actually expensive to run and totally unnecessary in the average pond. If you have championship koi that cost 5 figures and up you might have a use for it. Sterilizing a pond with a UV requires slow flow and very close proximity to bacteria, so it’s expensive to buy and run. The light must penetrate to the nucleus for a certain duration. Algae are easier because the cells are large, so the clarifier is less expensive to buy and operate. If you are after the algae, a clarifier is enough. For string algae you can also use an ionizer that releases copper into the water. One of our members has also been successful in suppressing floating algae by turning up the power on his ionizer to the highest setting. The copper pole has to be replaced annually and costs about the same as a UV.

We have a UV and have used them for years, but I’m starting to lean toward a turbid pond as both a predator deterrent and to give the fish a feeling of safety. As prey animals they do not like being seen and stress over bird shadows and finger pointing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So the output of the UV unit should go through the bog filter instead of being returned to pond? I will be very interested to hear other folks thoughts on UV. It was a part of my water filtration system on my salt and freshwater tanks. Don’t even remember why I started using them.
I have a 55w UV light and I love it! the return it's in the plant tub I have no issue with it and I'm buying another just like it for me second pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
I have one that was on only during the algea
bloom this spring then turned off. I agree with most that it has a place for that short time but nature and your bog will do the best job. I also believe It kills the good bacteria so counter productive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I used one for about a week, to clear up a green water issue. Worked like a charm! I pulled it out at that point, and haven't used it since.
That's the only use I can see for it. As far as the bacteria goes....the UV clarifier won't kill the bacteria on your substrate or any other surfaces.

Ask a Question