UV Clarifiers/Sterilizers - Opinions???

Reaction score
It was not like it sounds, this has been over a years time. I know I have the filter set up correctly. I had the 30 gallon pond for two years and never had trouble. It only had a little box filter that you put the pump into. When we moved we decided to make our bigger pond and this is what I have been dealing with for the last year. I think there is too much south Texas sun to compete with. It grows the things you don't want and not the the stuff you do want.

Reaction score
I have a fishmate 1000 w/ UV light. A 300 Gallon pond that was pea soup when I bought my house (got it from previous owner) I actually resorted to an algaecide in frustration tho I won't go there again. I ran the filter 24 hrs a day w/ the discharge pumping back into the pond over rocks for aeration. Over the course of a week it got clearer every day ( to my utter satisfaction)

You need to establish the helpful bacteria in your filter to deal w/ algae. Plants, oxygenation, and starter bacteria are key. I truly believe the UV light is prob overkill when your system is balanced...but I start mine system up fresh in the spring and its a fresh start with all the gunk in the pond and it will need a clean up. SO the UV light can only help....its part of my filter so its already there...wont get rid of it. The amount of sun your pond gets will effect all these things so if you can get a UV light ...what can it hurt? My preference is to have it......but remember...you have to have the right combination of things to control the algae. Good luck.

Reaction score
Thanks Trickplay461. I found the problem/right combination. Putting the cover over my pond was the key. Ever since I added the shade, my pond has gotten clearer and clearer every day. Now I can see everything. And I am back to enjoying my pond and my fish. I had the feeling it was too much sun the whole time, but tried everything else anyway. Finally gave in and it worked. I just have to balance and put my plants on the one side that gets a little morning sun, so that they get the sun they need.

Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I use an 18w UV light(completely hid) and my water stays crystal clear all year. I have friends who use the "drum" filter systems and their ponds are clear as well. So it all depends on your desires and what you like. Neither is right or wrong they both work. Pros vs. Cons? I simply dont want a 55 gal. drum sittin anywhere near my "natural" looking pond.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
As for the 55 gallon drum bio filter, if you have a waterfall and hide it inside, it is invisible. No one ever notices mine until I point it out. It all comes down to your landscaping and abilities to utilize it. Granted, not everyone has the space to do it.

Reaction score
I recommend you do careful research before investing, i.e size of pond, pump flow rate, how to plumb it, quality of product. UVs can be pretty expensive plus the cost to run it. My neighbor swears by his--he fought algae for years till he installed it. Now he has clear water.

I'm having questions about mine, particularly vis-a-vis plumbing and flow rate. Right now my water sucks, but it's early in the season. Eventually i'm going to redo my pond and probably go with a Dr. Case double 55 gal bio-filter system. Until then, I'm trying to figure out flow rate to maximize the function of our 57 watt Aqua UV ($300). I think the product is good, I just need to learn how to maximize it's function--I'm probably going to invest in a flow meter.

So, bottom line just do your research. Personally I agree with Pondlady--I think UVs are a necessary adjunct to have, but with proper, effective filtration may only be needed at times.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If you have a uv in your system ,Its there when you need it , you can turn it on or off when needed,,What ever it takes to keep the water clear..
D&RW i would save your $$ you dont need a flow meter,,just look at the outlet were it comes out and adjust your valve by the water flow , keep it simple

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Graduate a bucket at 5 gallons and use a stopwatch or second hand on a clock. The rest is simple math.
Flow meters are expensive and you really only need to do this once.

Reaction score
Last summer, right before hooking up the line, I did the measurement with the 5 gal bucket at the juncture before the light set up. The outflow was almost too fast but with my neighbor's help we did it X 3 and that's how I found out the output of the pump was more like 4500 rather than 4700. It would have been more accurate with a larger container.

Right on the flow meter. They're about $80 and I don't have the cash right now anyway. It'd be neat to have actual number, but then there's another place for a leak.

Since I found the pond calculator site, I redid the data input in the most conservative way and still have sufficient head to reduce flow at the light below its capacity. Today I'm going to take Otter's advice and shut the main line valve and run it all through the light and see what happens.

The thing about the pond calculator result is it's hard to believe the head is that "high" and I still have the flow from the waterfall that I do. The formulas in the calculator seem well done, but I'm going to look at each cell a bit more closely and find out who did the work, i.e. an engineer or a lay person.

Ask a Question