UV Filter success

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a or 7b
Country
United States
I finally broke down a got a UV filter. 2 days and what a difference.
Chemical treatments in the past seem to have more side affects than good. So my question do you run them all the time or only when the water is looking green?

The unit I bought is below. I was not looking to spend a load of cash so it seamed to fit the bill.
First one was DOA, but it was prime so they just sent me another and a label to send the dead on back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DL0Y76/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
UV-C's are meant to be run 24/7 @JustinNJ and the bulbs changed once a year unless you have a double bulbed one bi ammually , care should betaken with the crystal sleaveamd it chould be cleaned externally everytime you change the bulb , they must be protected against freezing in the winter otherwise this will crack the crystal sleave which you would then have to replace [which can proved quite expensive dependant on the model and make] .

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have run mine longer this year than ever before because of the weird weather we have had and last week was 90's most of the week and going to be the same this week .I also put the hoop house cover over my pond because it is in sunlight all day and water temps were going up .

Reaction score
UV-C's are meant to be run 24/7
Dave
Why do you feel they should be run 24/7 ??? Seems like a waste of power to me.
Lots of people only run them when they need them, and some people don't even use them at all.
I generally only run mine in the spring when the nutrient load in the water is high and the plant haven't yet fully established their nutrient absorbing potential.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine gets turned on during the day and switched off at night and then I thought about energy cost while reviewing my utility chart for the pump and 18 watt uv so now run it at night after 11 pm when rates go down and it runs until 6 am and pond is clear but these 90 degree days are terrible .Plants in the pond like this weather .Even water hyacinth have lots of babies and put some in the floating ring in the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Why do you feel they should be run 24/7 ??? Seems like a waste of power to me.
Lots of people only run them when they need them, and some people don't even use them at all.
I generally only run mine in the spring when the nutrient load in the water is high and the plant haven't yet fully established their nutrient absorbing potential.
I didnt say 365 days a year just when needed through the spring summer and early Autumn

Dave

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I have a Laguna PowerClear 3500 and starting to think the UV is doing nothing. On 24/7 each day and still it gets worst. I can see the light of UV is on. Might invest in one of these. Do you need your own pump?

Last edited:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My UVs never came out of the basement this year! A little string algae but no green water- that's a first. I only run mine till the water clears then turn it off.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
just because the light is on does not mean it is working .I wish they could some how make the color of the bulb change so you know when it is going bad

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The average life span of the UV lamp is 9000 hrs. so if you turn it on and off each day go figure.
I turn mine on during the warm months and get two years out of the lamps.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Well i only have my filter/uv running 2 weeks now. I probably just replace it just in case.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
just because the light is on does not mean it is working .I wish they could some how make the color of the bulb change so you know when it is going bad

There is a method for determining if a UV bulb is still effective. I don't know how easily or safely that it could be done with a pond UV.

Hold a glass or bottle of tonic water next to the bulb. If after a few moments the tonic water glows purple then the bulb is still effective, if not the bulb has become spent.

Ask a Question