UV lamps

Reaction score
welcome Jane... good question as i'm not positive and maybe others in the group may know. But i would think a couple of ways, first try turning on unit when dark outside or covering the ends of unit. Some manufactures have a little area that you can see the blue hue given off when the light is functioning. Although that doesn't mean the bulb has full effectiveness. Second just plug it in and set in the pond for a few days if the algae clears up then most likely it is working. Hopefully the brand and model you have the bulbs will be inexpensive as uv bulbs are effectively rated at so many hours of use.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thing is the light may be working but by what I understand on here doesn't mean it is doing the job intended .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomesiamese54.gif
Jane

Reaction score
Mine has a clear window, it glows faintly blue when the lamp is functioning. It's very faint, have to cover it up with my hand to see it except at night.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
u.v bulbs continue to "light up" long after their abiliuty to kill or sterilize algeas is gone...average life expectancy is 11 months...after about 8 months the bulb begins to lose its effectiveness fairly quickly. this is rated at continuous use so if you only use it a couple weeks a years it could in theory last 10, years or more. i think alot of people run them all season so likely replace the bulb yearly.

Ask a Question