UV Light for Carpet Algea

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am a newbie here and am in the finishing a feature that has an upper waterfall with an 8 foot diameter pond flowing into a 45 foot stream which empties into a 10 foot diameter pond. The whole system is about 1000 gals. The stream has a number of small water falls that add a lot of aeration and the water seems to be pretty clear but I have some what I assume is carpet algae forming on the rock surface, mainly in the ponds. I have not yet added any bacteria but plan on that as soon as I get it. I also have no fish yet but plan on a few gold fish. The only filtration I have is the filter mat in the Savio skimmer. The skimmer has the hole for the Uvinex light. My main question is if I really need the light since the water is clear right now, though it is getting colder lately. Will the light do anything for carpet algae? Is bacteria what I really need? Or should I use both?
IMG_5314.JPG

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
All the bacteria that you will ever need for a healthy pond are already there.
A UV will only affect planktonic (floating) algae.
Your stream appears to have a substrate of river rock. If this is true then this may be all of the biofiltration that you will need.
What is the flow rate on your pump?

Reaction score
Country
United States
All the bacteria that you will ever need for a healthy pond are already there.
A UV will only affect planktonic (floating) algae.
Your stream appears to have a substrate of river rock. If this is true then this may be all of the biofiltration that you will need.
What is the flow rate on your pump?
Thanks much Meyer. Yes the substrate is all rock. I am using a 3000 gph pump. With my pipe run an lift I figure I am running about 2000 gph.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
There are conflicting views on products like Algaefix but it definitely will remove carpet/string algae. Whether or not you *should* use it is a separate discussion but if you do it's really important to (1) use the proper dose and (2) have PLENTY of aeration in the water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The light will not help the carpet algae. If it gets really bad use sodium percarbonate. You can get it on ebay.
Thanks much m
There are conflicting views on products like Algaefix but it definitely will remove carpet/string algae. Whether or not you *should* use it is a separate discussion but if you do it's really important to (1) use the proper dose and (2) have PLENTY of aeration in the water.

Thanks audioenvy, I will keep this in mind moving forward!

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have/had carpet algae. I didn't realize the water that I was using was v. high in phosphate until recently. My fish enjoyed munching on it and I grew to like the bright green covered surfaces. I lowered the phosphate and there was a noticeable and almost immediate reduction; it still covered most surfaces but went from shag to beber.

Ask a Question