UV light recommendations

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just recently doubled the size of my pond to approximately 3000 gl and now I'm thinking about installing a UV light to clear the green water (I never had to deal with before)
I don't know much about a UVlight so please, if someone can recommend me the appropriate setting for a 3000 (a bit over that) gallons pond in full sun I would appreciate it! I need to know what to look for when buying the UV light, the pump size ( I heard UV light doesn't work if water flow is too fast)
Thank you!

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If your pond is "new" (ie. you've just expanded), then your pond hasn't cycled as yet. Give it time, the "green" water will most likely resolve itself over time.

You didn't mention your method of filtration, nor did you mention whether or not you have marginal plants, lily coverage, etc.

It may very well be that you don't need a UV light at all.

Elaboration, please.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My pond is divided into 2 sections, the upper section is shallow water, with two 22"waterfalls and plants on both sides (water hyacinths, cannas, iris, taro etc) the bottom section is the main pond, it is over 4 feet deep and usually I'd have water lilies covering most of that surface but they haven't surfaced yet, the contractor I hired to do the work, suggested a UV light because he said the surface area is now too large for the amount of plants I can ever have in the upper section, that's why I wanted to learn more about UV lights

Thank you for your reply!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I understand that in time the algae may or may not disappear on their own, but my husband really does not want to wait any longer (going on 3 weeks) so: would an: Eleven Watts light bulb, with 675 GPH pump mechanical submersible system work for a 3000 gl pond or is it way too small?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have 2 actually, one for each waterfall, but my husband doesn't want to cut into the line, he wants to filter the UV on its own.
I did follow your suggestion and ordered the Jebao 55W, so thank you!

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If your lilies are too deep, and they haven't yet reached the surface then I would suggest elevating them within the pond. Use stacked milk crates topped with flat flagstone.

Shading the water with pads will definitely cut down on your algae.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not sure if they are too deep, they were only a foot higher before the renovation, and before the algae bloomed I could clearly see the koi constantly picking at them...but yes I will elevate the pot if they seem to struggle! :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Can't go wrong with the Jeabo UV

Discount Aquatics is a GREAT Ebay seller.

$89.88 for a 55 watt UV is an unbeatable price.

Note this is a Massive UV at 24.5 inches in length. and rated for a 3000 to 8000 gallon ponds

I currently have a Jeabo Powerheads in my Salt water reef tank, a Jeabo Dosing pump in the reef, and a Jeabo in pond skimmer for my Pond. No problems with anything

Also the Jeabo uses standard UV Bulbs (which you can get anywhere, since they need to be replaced yearly) and there are lots of replacement parts available (So you can fix your unit and not have to toss it)

This is the unit I'm talking about:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Ultravio...-0-PVC-/180721937637?var=&hash=item6fc45995eb

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks! I'm glad to hear another good review, I'm really looking forward to getting it!
I ended up ordering from Amazon, they offered the pump with it and Free Shipping so it was still a good deal!

I'm not sure how we're gonna install it, I hope it's as easy as hooking up a couple of lines!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My UV light is almost here, yay! Now I'm wondering what to expect when I finally plug it in, should I add a cleaner to take care of the dead algae?

Ask a Question