UV light recommendations

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The document only references the word "oxidative, oxidation, etc" , in relation to ozone not UV irradiation.

Aren't we discussing UV?
Yes, rather than being so narrow with your search, by going to aquaculture conventions and converse with those whom practice their trade instead of implying they are "full of it".

Does being a member of the GAA count?

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Came into this post rather late. I removed the UV light from my submersible filter and replaced it with a cap....one reason was not to have a 2nd electrical cord running out of the pond, but more so because the UV light, from what I have read here, is just a temporary fix if you don't remove the cause of the problem. Am I correct or incorrect in thinking this?

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That's what I thought, Meyer. Why would people treat a symptom rather than the cause? Sounds like our health care in this country.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Sounds like our health care in this country.

Might be where they got the idea.

To be fair, there are existing pondkeepers and all of the novices who are not aware they they are not curing a problem. The manufacturer's fail to mention in their advertising 'spin' that any imbalance that was present in a pond will still be there only in some instances it may even be worse.
People in general have a tendency to believe a product's advertising. Although this text must be truthful according to law, it does not have to be complete. Sadly, this practice of providing incomplete information is rampant in the Water Feature industry.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Why would people treat a symptom rather than the cause?

Precisely what I try to tell people. Just talked to a lady over the fence who was visiting my neighbor yesterday and she told me how expensive her pond was to keep - then listed all the products and chemicals and treatments equipment and how many times she has to break the whole thing down and get the fish out and clean it and power wash and then replace the fish because they die from all the catch and release activity... I was exhausted just listening to her! And it's no wonder she thinks pond keeping is expensive. I told her the only money I've put in to my pond this ENTIRE YEAR is for the water to keep it full. And sometime even that is free! She was standing LOOKING AT MY POND and told me "I don't believe that's possible".

Alrighty then.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just like anything whatever can make them money they will sell it .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just like anything whatever can make them money they will sell it

So true. Even people I respect in the pond business sell algaecides and clarifiers and whatnot. And I get it - some people just want that fast "fix" and if you don't sell it to them, someone else will. There's no money in telling people to have patience.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does being a member of the GAA count?

Sure, if you are actually a contributing member, converse, and attend. GAA is an international academic non-profit NGO, much like WAS except not as prestigious. If I had the the choice between GAA and WAS, then I would choose WAS. "Count" more to be an affiliate and an involved member in your state's local aquaculture association.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There is credible applicability to "quick fixes"; agreement should not be necessary so to understand this.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Came into this post rather late. I removed the UV light from my submersible filter and replaced it with a cap....one reason was not to have a 2nd electrical cord running out of the pond, but more so because the UV light, from what I have read here, is just a temporary fix if you don't remove the cause of the problem. Am I correct or incorrect in thinking this?

Always best to address the cause. However, reality is tough to ignore and removing the "cause" often have ripple effects. Limiting nutrients are either phosphorous or nitrogen. Reduction of these nutrients will lead to fewer problems with algae, but this will also impact fish's natural food sources as well as reducing the "ecosystem", which means a possibility of using more fish food. Fish food also releases more phosphorous and nitrogen. I suggest the best route is to increase the pond's flora diversity and density and be frugal with using fish food, but I understand this is not always a possibility. So, best you can do is control the excesses, which this may involve using a product or techniques to precipitate phosphorous or a device to reduce nitrogen or possibly even usage of additional filtration including UV.

Be aware, more intervention involved, the more maintenance involved.

If you want to conserve time and money, then I suggest a payment of time to have patience, as well as tolerating the hopefully temporary symptoms this may create. Increase flora density and diversity. Maintain a lower fish density and allow Nature to feed the fish. If this is not possible with the pond, then the pond construction it self may not be conducive to warrant less intervention.

Last edited:

Ask a Question