UV light suggestions

Reaction score
Summer has started very early here in FL and I have pea soup green water already. I guess I need a UV light.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get one or a brand name. So much of what you see online nowadays seems to be like so much junk. I previously had a Jabao 55 UV light and it work for a while but it wasn't very well made.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yes. no uv spend the money on a bog filter. uv kills the algae cells yes but it just make food in its death for the next wave of algae

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Plants plants and more plants no need for a uv light. I do filter with a huge bog, I never get green water and or string algae in the big pond .
Do have a lot of plants that do my filtering for me.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Agree, no UV, use bog plants and perhaps add some shade with decorative plants along the perimeter such as potted palms etc.

Reaction score
In my opinion whether or not one should invest in a UV sterilizer, depends on what setup a person has (just my opinion)

My ponds are both hybrids (I have both rocks and plants but not enough of either) and I use, and totally love my UV lights!

I have the exact one in both ponds 55W Jebao https://www.amazon.com/Jebao-Clarifier-Sterilizer-Aquarium-Fountain/dp/B00JDTXHI6/ref=sr_1_8?crid=TW1X4E8DQWIJ&dchild=1&keywords=pond+uv+light+sterilizer&qid=1585326825&sprefix=pond+uv+light,aps,165&sr=8-8
Thanks. I've actually purchased that one in the past. It worked but didn't last very long.

My pond is a raised pond so setting up a bog would be challenging. Plus it is already in the 90's here for the foreseable future (not bog building weather). I'm not in a position with everything that is going on right now to take on a major redo on my pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks. I've actually purchased that one in the past. It worked but didn't last very long.

My pond is a raised pond so setting up a bog would be challenging. Plus it is already in the 90's here for the foreseable future (not bog building weather). I'm not in a position with everything that is going on right now to take on a major redo on my pond
It may not be as much work as you think. your desires may be a lot of work but in only takes the bog being a few inches higher then your pond to make it work.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How big is the pond? If not too big, perhaps move it to a location with more shade? If not, can you shade it with some potted plants around the perimeter? Do you have any palm trees in your yard?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I got a laguna filter with a UV light built into it two years ago. I have not plugged it in yet.

Reaction score
The pond is 8' x 12' and 2ft deep. I get a couple of hours of sun in the afternoon but it's in the shade most of the day. And I have two big water lilies (thanks Addy) creating some add'l shade

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I had pea soup a year after I set my new pond. Made a biofilter, AKA bacteria making factory, and have crystal clear water since. Now I have too many fish so in the middle of making a larger biofilter just incase

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Improved version of a skippy. The line in isn't by pipe, it jets into a large funnel, vortex captures lots of oxygen on the way in. After 10 years of running I went to clean it but it didn't need cleaning. I do use a prefilter though. It's not technically a filter but an ammonia converter which is why the water is crystal but the plants need to be thinned constantly as they are very well fed. Nitrate and nitrite 0.

Ask a Question