Uv light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, ive recently set up the half moon view affinty pool, i have 3 small shubunkins. At rhe start i put the put grade uv light into the 5in1 filter but then switched it off. But now the pool seems to be very green ie the viewing windiw and rhe waterfall, should i switch it back on or leave it off. What does the uv bulb actually do for the pool or the fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
UV filtration only kills single celled floating algae, as well as other single celled organisms in the pond. Does nothing for the fish at all. Nor will it clear the type of algae that grows on rocks or glass. Algae in a pond is 100% normal and in fact necessary to a healthy pond, so your goal should not be to eradicate it completely.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1626465772603.gif
and welcome @Calland

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi, ive recently set up the half moon view affinty pool, i have 3 small shubunkins. At rhe start i put the put grade uv light into the 5in1 filter but then switched it off. But now the pool seems to be very green ie the viewing windiw and rhe waterfall, should i switch it back on or leave it off. What does the uv bulb actually do for the pool or the fish.
what Lisa said. Too, you're going to find out what having a 'viewing window' in an outdoor pond subject to direct sun (even indirect, but it'll happen slower) is all about. Get out that algae scraper/pad/magnet!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I agree with the cleaning magnet.
If you are not familiar with one, they are used to clean aquarium glass. They are two pieces, one side is a magnet with felt the other a magnet with scrubbing material. The felt side sits on the outside of the glass and the scrubby side on the inside, in the water. The magnets hold the two halves together allowing you to scrub the inside while moving it all around. You can remove it when you're done cleaning or leave it "parked" in a corner for next time.

Ask a Question