Uv light

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Depends on the application, ie what type of tank are you trying to setup and keep?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yes it is useful.

It can help remove new tank syndrome, green water and other microorganisms. but the real question is how long to use it. if you run it 24/7 you get 6 months of bulb life and not all microorganisms are bad some can even help keep clean water.

I personally only run my light when I have a problem with cloudy water or a sick fish. For NTS I use it for 1 hour and wait killing all the bacteria in the water can give a ammonia spike. That's ok if your doing a fishless startup. For green water I keep the light on until that water is clear or brown. I do run it 24/7 when I have to have a hospital tank running nothing is to good for our wet pets.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is uv light useful for indoor aquarium?
That is an interesting question. Are you asking about the usefulness of a UV sterilizer to deal with green water/illness or a UVA/UVB overhead lamp for plants? No need for overhead UV lighting. Most plants you would keep with African cichlids have low to medium light requirements.

Last edited:

Ask a Question