UV lights?

Reaction score
how much of a benefit would it be to add uv lights into the filtration system, I do have good filtration now but would adding that be waste of money and time, thanks

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Do you get green water/free floating algae? Even though this is a bandaid treatment, that is the only reason to consider it, if you don’t want to go at the source of the problem excess nutrients, imo. Otherwise, uv lights serve no purpose, other than limiting life in your pond ie killing free floating plankton/micro fauna thus limiting diversity at the base of the food web in our ponds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The set-up I purchased (Savio kit) when I built my pond 2-and-a-half years ago included a UV light in the skimmer box. I had been using it until the bulb burnt out this past year. Did it make any difference in water quality? I don't know. The pond is small (~700 gal) and I only filter with mechanical pads and biological media. There is no bog filter; only a few plants in the pond. My water stays clear and the only algae problem I have is with string algae, which I believe is not affected by UV light. I might delay replacing the UV bulb this year and see if there's any difference without it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
how much of a benefit would it be to add uv lights into the filtration system, I do have good filtration now but would adding that be waste of money and time, thanks
I have a built in UV Chamber in my filtration, and although I get very minimal algae so little that you have to search for it. I have never looked back since installing it. But I am hoping to build a waterfall run into the pond at the bog area of my pond, health allowing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I built my pond 2-and-a-half years ago included a UV light in the skimmer box. I had been using it until the bulb burnt out this past year.
Most likely, the effectiveness of your UV light ended about a year (or more) before the light finally burned out. If you didn't notice a difference, I wouldn't replace it. That is unless it is an integral part of the filter and needs to be there. In that case, leave it in place and don't plug it in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Most likely, the effectiveness of your UV light ended about a year (or more) before the light finally burned out. If you didn't notice a difference, I wouldn't replace it. That is unless it is an integral part of the filter and needs to be there. In that case, leave it in place and don't plug it in.
highly agree.
yes they do work but think of a UV lights as a double edge sword. It kills good and bad bacteria making a sterile environment, If you have fish and or plant life you and taking away beneficial bacteria they thrive on.

Most see algae as a unsightly bad thing but it is a plant not a bacteria. It is a good sign that your system is in a somewhat balanced state. Algae feed on the same food as floral planted in your bio filter. It is normal to experience a algae bloom as a water feature comes out of its dormancy. It takes floral a little longer to start its growth cycle than algae, once your bio system takes off it will use the nutrients that algae feeds on, they compete for the same food source. if you experience algae after your bio system comes on line you can increase aeration.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a built in UV Chamber in my filtration, and although I get very minimal algae so little that you have to search for it. I have never looked back since installing it. But I am hoping to build a waterfall run into the pond at the bog area of my pond, health allowing.
uv is Not about algea unless your talking pea soup algea

Ask a Question