Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After Filter

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Separate Pump

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
Reaction score
DrDave said:
You forgot to include; I don't use a UV.

I'm not trying to be a smart azz, but that is why I said for those who actually use one.. I totally respect the fact that you do not.. The reason that I asked is because I am building a new filter and wanted to see where the best place to plumb it would be, the insrtuctions say before filter, as to not slow down the flow, but after the filter would be cleaner water flowing thru it.

I do not use it 24/7. I did use it for a couple of weeks when I first filled my pond, and figure I might have to use it a couple of weeks in the beginning of pond season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use a UV as a sterilizer.
I had my UV off while i did a prazi shotgun treatment.
The water stayed clear during that time.
I turned it on after the treatment.
Not everyone is so lucky to have a perfect pond if there is one.
If you need one use it if not don't knock the people who do use them.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i dont run mine long but mine is located simply between my pump and filter. i run mine for WEEK OR SO in the spring. i let my water green up a bit. run the u.v 'til its clear and a few extra days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In my 4200 gallon pond the UV's are in the savio skimmer so that would be before the skimmer.
In the new pond it will be after all filtration.
It's generally better filter with a UV Sterilizer is to place the filter prior to the UV Sterilizer. The reason is that turbidity in the water will lower UV Sterilizer effectiveness.
Also nothing from the pong can get hungup in it.

koisRus said:
DoDad, where do you run yours, Before or After?

Reaction score
Koisrus,

I'd wondered the same thing, and found lots of opinions on this. I decided to install a 13 watt uv after the skimmer and pump and before the bio filter. I did this thinking that the clumped algae killed by the uv would then be caught by the bio filter before sending it back into the pond. I installed a by-pass tee controlled by a valve in my main 2" line, and divert about 60% of the flow through the uv, then back into the main line into the filter. In less than two days my water went from cloudy / green to crystal clear. You can literally see every single pebble at the bottom of the pond, etc. My pond is fairly new so I expect that once the bio filter becomes established I will likely close the valve and shut off the uv most of the time. No doubt there are lots of different ways of installing one, just thought I would share what has worked for me. Good luck!
James

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
james06sci.......
like i said in my earlier post.... i have located mine likewise,before the filter. its only a TETRA 9 watter and i only run it for 7 - 10 days a year in the spring...thats it!! i experience no more than 3 or 4 days a year of green tinted water.and i purposely allow it to green up a bit, this is generally just as if not before my fish return from the basement pond!

Reaction score
This year I had no choice but to install it after the skimmer and before the waterfall filter. The 9 watt Tetra cleared my pond from pea soup green to clear in two days. Next year I will be adding a DIY filter before the waterfall filter.

Right now may plan for next year is to go from my skimmer to the new filter I am building with 1-1/4" hose, (I will use 1-1/2" pvc pipe for the swirler). From there I will use two 1-1/2" returns, one will go straight to the waterfall filter, the other one will go to the uv light (I will drop it down to 1-1/4" at the light), then to the waterfall filter.

Ask a Question