UV Question

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan .... Hope your enjoying those 70's while we're erratic. Meyer, I started my whole system up and all
is great though early .... as you recall. I put my Aqua UV 57 watt model inline yesterday! Temp dropped to 29F last night.
I see a 25 degree night coming Friday! I do realize it's early for UV's but jumping the gun and my water temp actually hit 64F and will never go below 50F. With that known, the UV is safe as everything else, correct. The UV in the sleeve surrounded by water is in no danger, correct? I never did this so early in the season. Thanks Meyer!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The UV in the sleeve surrounded by water is in no danger, correct?

Knowing my great love and admiration for UVs and their use (Riiiight!), I can't believe that you are asking me.
But since you did.......as long as there is water flowing through the unit I would think that they would be safe from damage.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Some have a warning on them I noticed .Not to be used in temps below 50 degrees

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If water freely flows, temp isn't an issue, but UV doesn't have much effect.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Knowing my great love and admiration for UVs and their use (Riiiight!), I can't believe that you are asking me.
But since you did.......as long as there is water flowing through the unit I would think that they would be safe from damage.

I most definitively knew that I set myself up but also valued your opinion. You would absolutely love my sterile algae-less non parasitic double UV'ed pond! I just didn't see a need to put the Uvinex in the Savio yet. Also there is a section of the Uvinex slightly above water that could cause collateral damage when freezing. Yep, one hundred and seven watts of UV ... lol ... But keep in mind, when I sit on a cushion, viewing my Buddha and meditate with my singing bowl, I CAN SEE MY KOI because it's a dedicated KOI POND .... Hahaha .... Hey - Thanks for the opinion Meyer. Much appreciated... ;-) ...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If water freely flows, temp isn't an issue, but UV doesn't have much effect.

What do you mean UV doesn't have much effect? If you saw my pond with UV's shutdown in a month or longer from now, you'd disagree. My water looks drinkable and algae is usually on the Savio pad and the media in the bio seen through the glass top of the bio before backwashing. Usually not until algae bloom temp time. They also act as sterilizers due to the flow rate so they're killing more than algae. Don't you have a bog, not a dedicated Koi pond? I don't recall but in my case, the eco is not as self sustaining as a bog. Correct me where I'm off base. So I'm a strong believer of UV's in a dedicated Koi pond... Just IMO ...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Meyer has argued this before in a way that makes sense. I'm a UV user myself cause in the winter, my trees have no leaves and it's nothing but direct sunlight on my pond and it becomes pea soup... now that that disclaimer is out of the way, Meyer said and I agree with this that UV are algae killers and not sterilizes cause the strength of the UV in most product is not good enough to kill the majority of bacteria that and the speed of the water flow makes it even harder.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond visability w/out UV - about 6". With UV - I can see a dead ant on the bottom at 6ft.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Meyer has argued this before in a way that makes sense. I'm a UV user myself cause in the winter, my trees have no leaves and it's nothing but direct sunlight on my pond and it becomes pea soup... now that that disclaimer is out of the way, Meyer said and I agree with this that UV are algae killers and not sterilizes cause the strength of the UV in most product is not good enough to kill the majority of bacteria that and the speed of the water flow makes it even harder.

I have 2 UV's, one 50 watt in the skimmer and one 57watt coming off the bio. According to flow spec, it is killing bacteria at the flow rate and the strength. On the other hand if the info was incorrect, I also can see a dead ant at
4 feet....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't use a UV but I do have a very large bog pea gravel plant filter. The water is never cloudy. It does get a touch cloudy as spring comes until I turn the pump back on. Within a day it is clear again after turn on.

Right now I have just water flowing over the top of the bog and the water has cleared. This shot is off my cameras 11am, to lazy to get bundled up to walk down and get a picture. Sitting around 32 f.

The lily pots to the right bottom of the picture are around 3 foot down, more or less.

Capture.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I don't use a UV but I do have a very large bog pea gravel plant filter. The water is never cloudy. It does get a touch cloudy as spring comes until I turn the pump back on. Within a day it is clear again after turn on.

Right now I have just water flowing over the top of the bog and the water has cleared. This shot is off my cameras 11am, to lazy to get bundled up to walk down and get a picture. Sitting around 32 f.

The lily pots to the right bottom of the picture are around 3 foot down, more or less.

View attachment 97659

How long did it take you for the bog to really be significant?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I built the pond one summer, put plants in the bog that fall, they did not really start growing until the next summer the second summer, no green water etc in the pond, the second summer. The first summer it was just gravel, issues with ph etc, no fish a lot of cloudy water from all the pea gravel dirt build dirt etc.

This is a shot right now, you can see upper right down into the 5.5 foot area,, you can just sort of see (reflections) the plants waiting to start to grow, horn-wort and anacharis laying on the bottom. A few of the lilies have sent leaves to the surface.
Capture.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I built the pond one summer, put plants in the bog that fall, they did not really start growing until the next summer the second summer, no green water etc in the pond, the second summer. The first summer it was just gravel, issues with ph etc, no fish a lot of cloudy water from all the pea gravel dirt build dirt etc.

This is a shot right now, you can see upper right down into the 5.5 foot area,, you can just sort of see (reflections) the plants waiting to start to grow, horn-wort and anacharis laying on the bottom. A few of the lilies have sent leaves to the surface. View attachment 97678

Perfect. That's just like me... built in summer, plants late summer/fall. So maybe this summer I will get some better filtration.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How long did it take you for the bog to really be significant?
in answer to your ? Due to the way I built it is hard to say when it was significant, but as soon as the plants grew and I added fish it took care of the water. The plants did not grow well until fish were added.

Ask a Question