Uv sterilizer

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a question about uv sterilizers, am I supposed to leave it on all summer or do I just turn it on for a couple weeks in the begging of the summer?, and also can I hook up a fountain on the other end?
Thank you

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You can run a fountain or spitter after the UV light with no problem. In a 1000 gallon pond you should be running a 9-15 watt UV light with aprox 250 gallons a hour running past the light per hour. In your area I would think running for a few weeks then turning the light off should be fine for a while. (You can continue running water through the light when it's off) You may need to turn it back on if you start to get any green tint to the water but I wouldn't think you would need to run it for the full summer.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i run 1200 gph thru my TetraPond 9 watter in my 1200 gal pond...i let the water green up. turn on the U.V...crystal clear in 3 days or less...i run it a few extra days... then i turn it off for the season and maintain crystal clear water all season.
my pond is in full sun all day, so you may even do better if your pond is shaded.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
You can run a fountain or spitter after the UV light with no problem. In a 1000 gallon pond you should be running a 9-15 watt UV light with aprox 250 gallons a hour running past the light per hour. In your area I would think running for a few weeks then turning the light off should be fine for a while. (You can continue running water through the light when it's off) You may need to turn it back on if you start to get any green tint to the water but I wouldn't think you would need to run it for the full summer.

oh ok then, thank you very much for the great information

koiguy1969 said:
i run 1200 gph thru my TetraPond 9 watter in my 1200 gal pond...i let the water green up. turn on the U.V...crystal clear in 3 days or less...i run it a few extra days... then i turn it off for the season and maintain crystal clear water all season.
my pond is in full sun all day, so you may even do better if your pond is shaded.

thank you for the great ideas, i think i will do the same as you and let my water green first then turn it on for a week or so and then keep it off until i need it again like fish4cars has stated.

thanks guys

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
We can't get away with running the water over the UV light down here as well as up north. If the water is not slowed down running past the light it won't kills the cells effeceintly enough. BUT koiguy is running a pond so much closer in regional/temp. and aprox. size as yours that his advice may very well suit you better than mine. Keep in mind I'm at the other end of the spectrum.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
One thing I did think about, If you run it for a while and shut it down for a while it's a godd idea to wipe the tube down that the light is in before turning it back on, Not sure what UV you are using, but if you can remove the shield to clean it be sure and do it each time, this allows the UV light to better penatrate the algae cells when you do need to use it.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
From reading on here and the size pond you have the Tetra 9 watt Green Free should do a great job for you. Also the Pondmaster and Odyessa both have been around a while and have built pretty good reputations. Laquana is a great product but they are over priced now that so many other companies are starting to compete. I prefer one that the bulb can be replaced without disconnecting the plumbing/tubing from to maintain.
I'll also be watching this to see what others may recommend. I have a jebco 15 watt, and the savio 15 watt that fits their unit.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the Tetrapond i have is about $80.00 @ Lowes....replacement bulbs are 2 for $10.00 on eBay.........LSE Entrerprises....you know it doesnt hurt to run your U.V all season...theyre cheap and help to control bad free floating bacterias and parasites as well as alge.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great info on uv's, I don't use them, but those that do will thank you.

Reaction score
Unfortunately no lowes here where I live, I might just order one online, thank you for the suggestions guys, is it possible to have clear water without a uv

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yes it is, and with plenty of plants you can have clear water and low nitrates as long as you keep a low fish stock. BUT that being said the UV light sure does do a great job when the water does decide to go green.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It will never go green with the right balance of pond plants, both floating and otherwise and a good bio filter. My water is always crystal clear. No UV...

Reaction score
I run a 72 watt uv on my 5,000 gallon Pond & love it it keeps things clear I bought it on Ebay 2 years ago & have had no probs what so ever A lot of people dont run them thay are not have too but they help out greatly and also barley straw or barley straw extract will work to help

Ask a Question