UV Sterilizers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and have read some great threads (thanks to all).
I was looking for any information on UV sterilizers as I'm interested in creating the best possible environment for my Koi and I had heard good things about certain products. I was wondering if any of you are knowledgeable in this area? I can only assume that as always, you get what you pay for so I'm not too worried about price. I have a gravel/rock bottom pond that I manage to keep pretty clean with barley (liquid concentrate)and bacteria (Aquaclear Extreme). I have a 2500 gallon pond using Aquascape filtration system (with a 24" falls). Always looking to get better though.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses!

I hope I can contribute to the forum..........Scott

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
hello and welcome to the forum, the u.v debate is an ongoing one, i use one with good success. i use a 9 watt tetrapond on my 1000 gallon pond. cleared it up in 3or4 days. your pond is much bigger so go at least 30 watt if you choose to use one.i, as most here,would advise getting rid of the rock bottom, but if it hasnt presented a problem in 5 years, you must have a grip on it. nice to have you with us and good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks for the quick response! I have read that approximately 9 watts per 1000 gallons should be sufficient. I have the pond under control after many years of trial and error but I am always trying to better the conditions for the Koi. I figure it cant hurt. I am thinking of purchasing a UV built into an external filter (more filtration can't hurt). I am looking for any advice on quality product names. This link will take you to a filter I was looking at. Says that it would do a 4000 gallon pond but it's only 13 watts, Hmmmmmmm
http://cgi.ebay.ca/7000GAL13watts-U...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50 I guess you have to cut and paste......Thanks for the reply!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks Doc, will definitely keep that in mind! Very expensive in Toronto once you go over 36 watts. Money not an issue but never want to throw it away if I don't have to.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Many of us have clear ponds and have never used the UV, so you can throw your money at something that might help a little or just do it right and have the same results without the electric bill and UV maintenence cost. A properly set up bio filter clears a pond in 3 days without UV. The water that comes out of mine looks good enough to bottle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks for the heads up, I have been searching through e-bay for a couple of weeks with no luck. I'll continue to look however I think I will listen to the Doc and upgrade my filtration in the meantime....Cheers

P.S. If ya see anything that looks reasonable please send me a link.....Thanks!

Ask a Question