UV water flow pump and tubing required

Reaction score
I am going to rig up a UV filter for my 1500 gallon pond. I have searched for information and I think I have learned two things. 1. It is recommended that the water flow through the UV should be 20 to 25 gph for each watt on the UV. 2. If the water flow is around that level the UV performs as a clearifier - above that level the UV is not as efficient and performs as a filter rather than a clearifier.
Now for the equipment for my UV rig - If I use a 40 watt UV, I would need a flow of water at the rate of 800 to 1000 gph. Question, what size pump and what size tubing will I need to have 800 to 1000 gph moving across the UV?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
What ever size inlet you have on the uv is what i would go with...
On your pump ? Dont you have some other filter that you want to suppy water too...if your filter could handle 1000 gph hr , a pump of about 2000 gpr should be good ,depending how high your filter is above pond level..
you can split the pump water with 2 valves

Reaction score
DrCase - Thanks for your reply. I have a 3500 gph pump in the skimmer and a bio waterfall. The tubbing going to the bio is under ground so it would be difficult to connect to it. Here is what I want to do. A pump outside the pond with a filter before the UV to circulate the water from the pond and back in to it. This would be used only when the water needs to be clarified.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Well that sounds like you got a plan...shoot for 1200 with the lift you should do fine...I would like to see a pic of your pond some time..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For this type of application I usually sell the customers Aqua Ultraviolet 25 Watts units
they have a maximum flow rate of 1.200GPH.
Pond size 500-1200 gallons.
They come with 2/4" hookups or 2"
with or without wipers.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i drag them to my desktop.. open with paint..go to image click...go to resize, click... then usually cut them down to 30% horizontal & 30% verticaL usually puts em' in range...save file and your done. they are ready to upload

Ask a Question