UVC PLS bulb for pond filter iisue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
im new to this so hope I’ve posted in the right place.
I have filter and uv combined unit. The bulbs only seem to last two months. I have changed the ballast and it still keeps happening. I have checked o rings are not perished, checked the quartz sleeve has no cracks and I leave on continuously . I’m struggling to know why the bulbs don’t last a year.
when changing the bulbs there are black burnt type markings on the glass, in the glass of the bulb near the pins.
hope someone can help.
thanks

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Sorry, I can’t help you, but there are lots of great minds here (I’m just not one of them ;) )

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1659032835373.gif
@Bonkers
No UV in my pond.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If the bulbs are going bad that fast and with the black it sounds like a short somewhere. Or it could also be that the bulbs are not the right one for the unit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your reply, I have checked the lead and connection to transformer, will obviously check the ballast again today.

ifthe flow rate drops due to filter clogging up or the pump not able to send as much water into the unit cause a short in the bulb?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Is the replacement bulb the same wattage as the origional? The filter clogging shouldn't cause the bulb to burn out and water flow would not cause it. Is the outlet where you have it plugged in a GFI? Is there anything else plugged into it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the pump going into the all in one filter barrel not sure what GFI is. I imagine the pondexpert easy filter 9000 is built in such a way that the water enters unit passes through / over the uv quartz sleeve then through the three different foam filters.
I have just changed bulb…. A 2 pin PL UVC 9watt bulb replaced with the same although I bought the new ones from a different company. The filaments were broken and the ends of the bulb were black, the new bulb lit immediately as you would expect. No moisture in quartz sleeve.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm not sure if this applies, but some bulbs should not be touched by human hands. The oils on your fingers can reduce the bulb's life expectancy. This is particularly important with halogen bulbs.
The next time you change the bulb, use a piece of paper, tissue, gloves or cardboard.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
good possibility @poconojoe i 'm also wondering if there's a power surge if his local utility fluctuates.

am I reading this correctly and what's a GFCI ? A gfci has been code for 30 years to any electrical source that's within x amount of feet to water. In other words your filter and uv . Must be plugged into a gfci. GROUND FAULT CIRCUT INTERUPTER. IT HELPS KEEPS YOU OR OTHERS FROM GETTING ELECTRICUTED

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would be very surprised and Very disappointed it you didn't. You three pin in no different from ours hot neutral and ground . Actually foursome reason I. Thinking your on a 230 system and even if that's the case I know I have a 230 gfci circuit breaker for my pump . You realy should look into this sooner than latter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok I think I have found our British equivalent, something else for me to concern myself with. I do use a three pin adaptor/ extension with one of these when using a corded scarifier, hedge trimmer and trimmer but as my external three pin sockets were fitted by a qualified electrician I would have thought they would either not need one as the fuse board was upgraded at the same time or they had an in built one. It isn’t possible for me to plug one in and plug the uv/ filter into as the lid on the socket box wouldn’t then close.
I am also not sure this would solve the problem as when I then plug a new bulb in it lights immediately, no reset needed- the fuse board hasn’t tripped and no need for me to try and find a reset for whatever I might or might not have that is our equivalent of GFI and GFCI.
THANK YOU I WILL CONCERN MYSELF WITH THIS IN DUE COURSE

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Maybe @Ian can chime in here he's on your side of the pond

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The GFI/GFCI is a bit like our RCB/RCBO's in the main consumer unit (the switches that trip) - so the shock protection is built in there.

I find that my bulb blows about once a year, so I just replace it early spring. As mentioned, touching the bulb does decrease the lifespan potentially - so if possible use disposable gloves or a paper towel to insert it. Sometimes, when you remove the quartz sleeve, there's a tiny bit of water that gets inside the bulb mount. Ideally, remove the quartz sleeve and give it a good rinse - then leave it and pump/mount out for a few hours in the sun to try out and evaporate any trapped water in the bulb enclosure. Just don't do what I did and let the quartz enclosure roll away and smash!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Ian, thank you, I do use a plug adapror for garden machinery as an added protection but it wouldn’t fit in the external socket boxes. Yeah blowing uvc bulbs once a year I can tolerate but every 2 months is excessive. I always check no moisture in quartz sleeve but would dirt on the outside cause a bulb blowing cause. I thought that these all in one barrel/ canister filters uvc were good but I am now look8ng at an all in one box filter. Do you mind me asking your experience of either/ both and now that I am look8ng at converting I am struggling to find a box filter you an put an outlet hose so as to hide it, all seem to say they have to discharge into pond.

Last edited:

Ask a Question