Vacation options — for my pond, not me! :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I have to go on vacation for about a week, my son and daughter-in-law are having their second child (my first granddaughter!) and I won’t miss it! Unfortunately my pond is going through some issues and I’m a little bit concerned about leaving it.

Basically, there is a string algae problem that I am trying to combat. Unfortunately I think the string algae has possibly gotten into my pipes and is slowing down my pump. Also, I have to clean the filter basket of my pump filter daily because algae either gets trapped by it or is actually growing in it. I came home from work the other night and the pump was running but no water was flowing through it! Obviously that’s horrible!

A friend is going to watch our dogs for us, but I can’t ask her to do all that. It’s just way too much to ask.

Fortunately, I have a strong aerator, the “koi air one” from Airmax and it does a pretty good job of moving the water in my 3600 gallon pond. I was thinking that I would turn off the pump for a week but leave the aerator on to move the water around and keep the fish alive. Does it seem like a legitimate option? I know it’s not ideal but I don’t have anyone who can come over and clean algae off my pump filter basket daily.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks.
// Radar //

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I doubt your fish will be affected by the shut down but the algae may explode. I would do as follows.
Vacuume the pond , I use nualgae, double up on the dosage and run as much air as you can into the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like a plan!

I use NuAlgi also, I think it really does work! My pond seems to be steadily getting better since I’ve started using it.

Ask a Question