Vacuuming the pond

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It may already be a post but I'm pretty proud of myself for coming up with a way to vacuum the bottom.
Started with wife saying"is there such a thing as too much Hornwart" I realized there was a lot.
I started pulling it out and netting the much from the bottom saving snails and dragonfly babies. Then I see the much is too fine for the net. I found a piece of cheese cloth and a length of hose. Wire tie on the end of cloth tube and insert hose into other end and another tie there, hooked it to my waterfall pump and drag around the bottom. The cloth blows up like a balloon and gives Max surface area for screening and all water goes back into pond. Then I put on some good music and got in and had a dance party with the fishies. That stured up a lot more stuff.
While I'm waiting for it to finish cleaning, I'm dipping buckets of water out to wash my Hornwart and thinned it out getting rid of the ugliest ones. I composted a 5 gallon bucket of it!
Seeing the sediments around the plant shelf I took my squirt gun that sucks water when you pull and shoots when you push and water jet the sediments to the pump. And what do I see when I did that? A baby fish! Only see one and it has no color at all.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
15003246203751440251513.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Seems like your fish had a bit of a party too and the baby that resulted will gradually change colour starting with the underside first. The top should be the last to change to a regular goldfish colour. The brown colour is to disguise the babies from predators.
Neat idea for hoovering, good job you didn't just siphon it out with a hose else the baby fish may be long gone:-/

Ask a Question