Vallisneria Morphing?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I recently purchased a large pot of vallineria from a local seller and wanted to see if someone can provide insight to something I’ve been scratching my head about.

Within 2-3 weeks of introducing the plant to my outdoor pond I noticed new leaves sprouting throughout the plant. The weird thing is the leaves are very broad in the last 2” of the leaf tip and the plant has also started flowering. In the photo below you can see I labeled (1) the original shape of the Val leaf, (2) the new broad leaf shape, and (3) the flower.

Question - Did the Val morph to a different shape due to my water conditions or is it a different plant that just laid dormant that happens to thrive in my pond conditions?

Thanks again for any help!

Attachments

• AC3E1E2D-31BB-4550-AB81-B430E07A4209.jpeg
    AC3E1E2D-31BB-4550-AB81-B430E07A4209.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 261
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Totally agree with Lisak 1. I would take the plants out of the pot and desperate them. They already looked crowded in that pot. The second plant looks like some sort of Lily. I you find the tuber you will know. Not bad you got a twofer.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome

Looks, to me, like you have three different plants Three different leaf types.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

Just wanted to provide an update. I did some research and was able to identify this plant. The person who sold it to me said it was a Vallisneria, this is incorrect. The plant is actually a Dwarf Sagittarius (Sagittaria Subulata).

I found that the Dwaf Sagittaria will often grow elliptical shaped leaves that float on the surface of the water in shallow water conditions. When the leaves take on this shape the Dwarf Sag will also produce small white flowers that bloom just above the surface. I find this interesting since I’ve kept Dwarf Sag for many years in a planted aquarium and it’s always just looked like short grass even if high LED lighting.

Anyways, thought I’d share :)

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/827/?pcatid=827

Ask a Question