Vanishing young Ghost Carp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 4230 litre garden pond, with established stock of 2 Mirror Carp, 3 Grass Carp, 35 Goldfish of varying sizes.
I added 4 small Ghost Carp (70-80mm long), acclimatised to the pond and gently released. 2 swam off and the remaining 2 sat on the bottom of the shallow end for a while before moving off. That was 2 weeks ago and I have seen nothing of the 4 since. When I feed most fish surface and feed normally but still no sign of the Ghost Carp. Any thoughts?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

I don’t know anything about the particular behavior of the ghost carp, but perhaps they are simply hiding. Many fish do this when they are in a new environment. Also, you might want to check your water chemistries.

But I would like to comment — that for the fish that you have.....IMHO, your pond is way too small! With exception of the goldfish, all of the fish you mention have the potential to grow quite large, and 4230 L (approx equal to a little over 1000 US gallons). Hopefully you have the potential to expand.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1620232235404.gif
@sophehoney
Could be just hiding.................they've ghosted ya!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I checked my water chemistry and it is within normal levels, nothing untoward.
I did see a fleeting glimpse of one of the Ghost Carp. As suggested, perhaps they were ghosting me lol.

Ask a Question