Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
00032C08-E69A-4E0E-97D2-A54BE2A36F86.jpeg
773A05BA-308D-41AC-97A8-EA4824C1B698.jpeg
2CBBA688-FB79-49CD-AFBE-C7BA960735FC.jpeg
I recently moved into a new home with this koi pond. I know 0 about them or how to maintain them. I’m going to have a guy come in the fall to clean and go over maintenance with me. Any recommendations from the picture on what I should clear out or cut back as far as surrounding vegetation? I wasn’t sure if this is suppose to be overgrown like this or the previous owner let it overgrow from neglect. Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome!

I think it looks a bit overgrown, especially the right side in the first photo. I'd get in there and start sorting out what's plants and what's weeds and trim back the bushes. But the good news is, now it's YOUR pond and you can pull it all out if you want!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and be leary of anyone that wants to empty the pond a clean it completely .The lily in the middle really needs cut back and divided up .The green algae is easy get a dollar store toilet bowl brush and remove some of it .Does it have a filter or pump or an aerator .Second pic really does need trimmed out .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome!

I think it looks a bit overgrown, especially the right side in the first photo. I'd get in there and start sorting out what's plants and what's weeds and trim back the bushes. But the good news is, now it's YOUR pond and you can pull it all out if you want!
Yeah, kind of what I thought. My problem is I don’t know what’s a plant vs a weed! Guess I’ll start researching. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
welcome and be leary of anyone that wants to empty the pond a clean it completely .The lily in the middle really needs cut back and divided up .The green algae is easy get a dollar store toilet bowl brush and remove some of it .Does it have a filter or pump or an aerator .Second pic really does need trimmed out .

If you don’t mind, why be leary if anyone wants to empty and clean? I’m a 100% green on all subjects.

I’ll pull up some videos on dividing the lily

It’s has a filter and pump.
Thanks

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Very pretty pond! How many koi are there? And yes, please don’t let anyone come out and “clean” your pond. All they’ll be doing is removing good algae and beneficial bacteria, and messing with the pond’s ecosystem. Except for being overgrown, it looks like a healthy pond.

Are you in OK?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
To be clear, it's fine to have someone come and help you get your pond "cleaned up" - you just don't want someone to come and empty the pond and power wash it, which is standard pond cleaning procedure with the pros. As @Mmathis mentioned, that would cost you the great ecosystem that your pond has developed and you'd be starting from scratch. If your pond was a complete disaster, that might be the only way to get it started, but you look to be in pretty good shape!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! :)
I lost count on how many people joined this forum because their new home came with a pond, how lucky is that
Good luck with your project, hope you'll love being a koi keeper

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I meant to add - if you want to post some pictures of the plants around your pond we could help you determine what is weed and what is plant you want to keep. Lots of people here who know plants!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi and welcome! I guess first things first. What looks ugly to us can be the healthiest water conditions for your fish and conversely what looks pristine and beautiful can be toxic water conditions for your fish. I would read as much as you can before you do anything. You have a great start in that it looks like your pond has a lot of potential and also that you found GPF!! All the algae you see is not harmful to your fish but in fact it can be very good for your fish. Even though it doesn't look pretty it can provide food for your fish, camouflage from predators, and also can synthesize harmful waste components to something less toxic. That doesn't mean you want to keep it all ... just don't be in a rush to clean the pond until you have a better understanding of the nitrogen cycle and everything that goes into keeping a healthy pond. Hmm. Also be wary of some "pond experts". There is a lot of information out there about maintaining a pond and not everyone that claims to be an expert actually is. I would trust a consensus of opinions from GPF members over almost anyone else! Good luck!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

I agree with all do not clean out the pond by emptying and washing. Esp right before winter. You will lose some if not all of your fish.

The lily in the center is crowded, Either in a pot or just clump growing in the center. You can wade in and see if you can divide it. Pull and yank out tubers. You can tell it is crowded by the way the leaves are bunched up and sticking up out of the water.

Move slow on doing anything, it takes time to learn about ponds and keep them healthy.
You water looks healthy just a bit of algae growing. You can see the bottom!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I meant to add - if you want to post some pictures of the plants around your pond we could help you determine what is weed and what is plant you want to keep. Lots of people here who know plants!
Okay, I will take some pictures and get them posted of individual plants. Thank you so much!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi and welcome! I guess first things first. What looks ugly to us can be the healthiest water conditions for your fish and conversely what looks pristine and beautiful can be toxic water conditions for your fish. I would read as much as you can before you do anything. You have a great start in that it looks like your pond has a lot of potential and also that you found GPF!! All the algae you see is not harmful to your fish but in fact it can be very good for your fish. Even though it doesn't look pretty it can provide food for your fish, camouflage from predators, and also can synthesize harmful waste components to something less toxic. That doesn't mean you want to keep it all ... just don't be in a rush to clean the pond until you have a better understanding of the nitrogen cycle and everything that goes into keeping a healthy pond. Hmm. Also be wary of some "pond experts". There is a lot of information out there about maintaining a pond and not everyone that claims to be an expert actually is. I would trust a consensus of opinions from GPF members over almost anyone else! Good luck!
I already trust this group more than my local pond store!! I did put in some algae control stuff from a local pet store. It appears to have cleared out some of the algae over growth but didn't wipe everything out, hopefully that wasn't a mistake.
I also put in 10 small goldfish, a couple of plectos, and a medium size koi. I can't seem to find any of them after 48 hours. You think they have been eaten? Or maybe just really good at hiding?

Thanks for all your help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

I agree with all do not clean out the pond by emptying and washing. Esp right before winter. You will lose some if not all of your fish.

The lily in the center is crowded, Either in a pot or just clump growing in the center. You can wade in and see if you can divide it. Pull and yank out tubers. You can tell it is crowded by the way the leaves are bunched up and sticking up out of the water.

Move slow on doing anything, it takes time to learn about ponds and keep them healthy.
You water looks healthy just a bit of algae growing. You can see the bottom!
I am going to buy some waders and get out there and try and thin the pads out.
Thanks, I will not be emptying the pond out at this point. Do you have a recommendation on a pool vacuum that won't break the bank or is that not necessary? I have a ton of trees in my backyard and the leaves seem to find their way to the pond. What is the group consensus on protective nets for predators/leaves?

Ask a Question