addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am going to try tomato plants in my bog, not sure how watermelon would do, if you try it keep the developing watermelon out of the water it would most likely rot.

Well did some searching watermelon do grow in hydroponically, if you have a good fish poop load to fertilize them, they should do fine.

Reaction score
I have tried tomoatoes, they did ok, but I don't think my set up was just right. I will try again this year and see how it goes, my set up is way better. I have water cress growing in there now, it looks great! I will be adding pepper plants this year also.

Reaction score
I was going to put the roots in kitty litter with pea gravel and have the stem grow out and trail the edge of the pond out of water. The pot would be submersed half way in the water.

Reaction score
I have a lot of starts growing in my greenhouse, so I will probably try melons and spinach, pretty much one of everything I have started will end up in the bog this year. My bog is 300 gallons of pea gravel so I have a lot of room to play with. One of everything, that should be an interesting experiment.. I am going to wash the potting soil off my roots and plant them in the pea gravel.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Anything that goes into the bog is bare rooted, i don't want to add the soil, esp potting soil a lot of it floats and makes a mess.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have lettuce in my slow moving creek for three weeks with no real result of growth. Doesn't look like this is going to work but plan on giving it several more weeks.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
taherrmann4 said:
I have lettuce in my slow moving creek for three weeks with no real result of growth. Doesn't look like this is going to work but plan on giving it several more weeks.
Parrots feather seems to do better in streams, water lettuce do good right in the center of lilies, Calm water with very light movement. Water hyacinths can handle moving water better than lettuce.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have both in my pond, water lettuce grows very fast, but not until it is warm and the days are long. Mine are just starting to grow after being dormant all winter. In few months, they will be 12" diameter and I will have a trashcan a week of surplus. You have to have nutrients (fish load) to promote growth.
My parrots feather grows fast and very green in the stream. Much slower and not so green in still water.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Pretty much same here, I've never had much luck with lettuce in moving water so much but in the bog I have some already now that are close to 10-12" across, Still have room to put some in the other ponds but I'm already getting some out of the bog pond now and moving it to others. I was only able to keep four pieces alive this year thru the winter or I would have easy double what I have now..

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
vegs are ok in filters but you do have to remember some plants are toxic to fish ..like the tomato plant stem and leaves are said to be toxic but the fruit isnt ..so i would be a little worried about the leaves falling into my pond ..but having said that i have also seen fish eating them and not getting sick !

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I have done alot of research on aqua-ponic gardening. There are a few issues I have found. One is pest control, you cant use any type of insectacide on your plants, not even natural home made stuff I use on my other garden plants(soap). Another is the ph that is required for most plants is not ideal for you fish but it can be done with great success. I have produced green peppers and tomatos from a ebb flow system from my pond. Just remember that the roots need air.

Ask a Question