venturi for 5 gal skippy filter

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IDK, but what size is your pond, and 5 gal doesn't sound large enough for a Skippy. Did you post the size correctly?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am new to all this so hope I am not being too stupid. My pond is 125 gal. I have two 250 gph pumps running. They are each attatched to 5 gal buckets that I turned into skippy filters. They then run back into pond by a waterfall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am new to all this so hope I am not being too stupid. My pond is 125 gal. I have two 250 gph pumps running. They are each attatched to 5 gal buckets that I turned into skippy filters. They then run back into pond by a waterfall.i am
That sounds like a lot of pump for 125 gal. too much for a filter, esp for a filter that small. And I can't see 5 gal buckets taking that flow rate. A Home Depot bucket is 5 gallons.

Can you post some pictures?

With a Skippy- type filter you need some "dwell-time." Sounds like yours is moving too much water, too fast. Pictures might help, because your set-up might be something different from what you're calling it and we might be simply miscommunicating.

Oh, and welcome to the group!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
this is a pic of the filter I want to add the venturi to. It is a 5 gal bucket the inlet is 3/4 pvc pipe that runs from the top to the bottom and tees off with two 90 deg. elbows. A grate sits above that with filter media,then a colander for bio media (bio balls) with another colander upside down on top of that, then quilt batting to catch algae. I am sort of stumbling around in the dark on this so if I have things in the wrong order please let me know. My idea was to get some air going in there to move the bio media and perhaps help with the filtration. Well I am having trouble uploading the pic. Can anyone tell me how

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I can't get my pic to upload . I uploaded it but it won't show up. Can you tell me how to look up what to do?
Select "upload a file" from the lower right corner of the text box. A black rectangular box will pop up, and you then select "choose a file" in that box...... I'm on an iPad, so I only know what happens on my screen -- other computers or systems might be different. For me, it takes me to my photo library where I can select one file at a time. Each file will show up at the bottom of the text box. If the pics show up there, then they should show up in your post.

If you still have problems, you can send a message to the mods (@Ian or @Becky) and see if they can help you through it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
20150908_122113.jpg 20150908_122002(0).jpg OK I am going to try the picture again

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 85910 View attachment 85911 OK I am going to try the picture again
Yea! OK, now, what was your original question.....

Oh, yeah! [just kidding]. Is that your 5 gal. filter? Are there 2 filters in that one picture, or is that a reflection [on the left side of the picture]?

I was hoping someone else would pick up on this thread, because I am terribly challenged when it comes to things like this. Bear with the questions, and I'll "tag" a few other members for their input as well, if no one else responds.

By Venturi, I assume you're talking about air input.....? And the 250 gal pump is the water pump for your filter....? Just want to clarify that since Venturi's usually involve adding air, so I assume you're wanting to add air to your filter to aid in bioconversion? Or are you wanting to know if a 250 gph water pump is adequate for that size filter?

First of all, can you explain what/how you were planning to do this? It looks like your filter is closed, so that's not really a Skippy, which is beside the point -- but knowing that is helpful. How large is your pond and do you have fish? Is this the only filtration you have? How long has your pond been set up? And how is your water quality? [for fish, we recommend testing your water with "drop" test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and KH]. How often do you clean/flush your filter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi, So, my pond is only 125 gal but hoping to upgrade in the spring. Yes there are two 5 gal bucket filters each attached to 250 gph pond master pumps. I do have fish Koi That is why I want to upgrade the size of my pond. The fish are small rite now but they do grow fast. There are 7 of them four are 1 1/2 three are 4 inch. I test my water about three times a week as you and so far my ammonia stays at 0, nitrite 0 to .5, nitrate 0 ph 7.0 to 7.5, kh 80. I think these are ok but thinking ahead. The filter I was going to put the venturi on is top fed with a 3/4 inch pvc pipe that runs down to the bottom of the bucket and tees off with two 90 deg elbows. On top of that sits a perforated shelf then filter media. On top of that is a colander with bio media and that is closed off with another upside down colander. then I have some quilt batting to try and catch algie. I was going to make the venturi out of a tee and put it on where the pump line is attached. Will the 250 gph pump handle this or should I go up to a 500 gph pump that I have. Thanks so much for trying to help me.I I really am fumbling around in the dark but I will learn.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Please don't get the impression that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to filters and pumps -- 'cause I don't, not by a long shot. And there are so many out there, and so many different combinations of this & that. The main thing is that it works to keep your water quality good. But, about the Venturi, I'm clueless (I recently dropped an air stone down the intake pipe going into my Skippy, hoping it would add some oxygen for the bacteria. Then one day I pulled it back out just a little, maybe a few inches, went out the next morning and the pond was drained down to about 1/2! When I backed the air stone out, there was just enough going on with the bubbles and all, that the water entering the Skippy was skipping right out via the port I'd made for the air line...... And this was just a week or so ago.]

How long has your pond been running? I noticed that the nitrites are a little elevated, which makes me wonder if your pond has cycled yet.

For the size pond you have, the 250 gal pump should be fine for now, but you could go up and see what happens. Also, as I'm sure you know, koi require more than the average in the way of filtration. It may be that instead of doing anything with your current filters, you may want to consider upgrading to a larger "something" like a barrel or large tote. Not saying what you have is wrong or anything, but your small koi are going to grow -- and faster than you may be aware, which is soon going to compromise your smaller filters [or maybe not.....] where they might not be able to keep up with the bioload from your fish. At least that would keep them in better shape until you get a new pond done. With koi, it's always a good idea to OVERfilter.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

Ask a Question