Very aggressive behaviour during spawning

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi I have an 1800 gallon pond in the backyard with a cascade and fountain. Today I've noticed one of my goldfish is exhausting my other fish during spawning, he is extremely aggressive. Can I net him for a while to give the others a rest. I'm worried he's going to kill some of the females.
Karalee

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1654122557885.gif
@Karalee
Yep you can take him out and let him sleep on the couch for awhile :joyful:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi I have an 1800 gallon pond in the backyard with a cascade and fountain. Today I've noticed one of my goldfish is exhausting my other fish during spawning, he is extremely aggressive. Can I net him for a while to give the others a rest. I'm worried he's going to kill some of the females.
Karalee
you can definitely give a seperation for a spell. i just had a gold fish do the same he is now on permanent vacation up in the bog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I have two or three males chasing and I don't like to see my females go through that either but it is a natural process so I don't interfere. I can say that the female that is being chased the most is in great condition and she has already spawned three times in 8 months)...BTW she is only 9 months old!) At least ours are in ponds and not aquariums where there is no room to run!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Who knows maybe they like being chased . I'm still trying to figure out women maybe fish are two after a billion years

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Karalee
Hi. I have had a lot of goldfish over the years. It seems like the biggest issue is when there are a lot more males than females. I have had females so exhausted and beat up from being pushed against the rocks they didn’t survive. I even had one jump out of the pond and get stuck in the rocks to get away. The simplest solution is actually to get more fish and hope the battle of the sexes gets more even so you don’t have the males out numbering the females by too big of a margin. It’s unlikely if you get more goldfish they will be mostly male. They should be pretty evenly split. Also if you want to help the females out you can try adding planters and things like that to give them more hiding places!

Last edited:

Ask a Question