Very cheap, effective filter foam pads.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Currently using a set of 3 grade pond filter coarse, medium and fine. Not happy with there performance.
When I go to wash them barely any dirty water comes from them, compared to my carbon pads.

I came across these sponge scourers today and these seem ideal for only one pound. Bottom has a really thick layer exactly like the carbon pads.
http://www.poundland.co.uk/sponge-scourers-20-pack

52747_6.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That type of sponge might be too dense for good filtration, mechanical or bio. If it's too dense, water is going take the path of least resistence and flow around, rather than through them. The scrubby side is OK.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
That type of sponge might be too dense for good filtration, mechanical or bio. If it's too dense, water is going take the path of least resistence and flow around, rather than through them. The scrubby side is OK.

I have them placed tight in a box along with carbon pads in my trickle filter, so no were for the water to go. The box underneath has the 3 more layers of foam media.As for bio i 4 more box stacked under with 20 kilos of bio media.

I have this system running now for 4 weeks. Finally delighted that the cycle kicked in and ammonia at very low levels

Exactly like this

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I agree with Mmathis. You may be getting water flow in your filter with these scouring sponges in place, but I guarantee that it is 'channeling' and you are actually losing effective filtration.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I agree with Mmathis. You may be getting water flow in your filter with these scouring sponges in place, but I guarantee that it is 'channeling' and you are actually losing effective filtration.

Nope, I can see it dripping through the boxes equally

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
But, is it flowing through the sponges, or around the sponges. I guess only time will tell.

Of course, they are packed very tightly. Either way its only the first layer of defense. I have 5 more layers underneath (with more foam media and 20 kilos of biomedia). My pond is crystal clear and low numbers on everything (no wild algae). I even have Fluval Clearmax to absorb phosphate, nitrite and nitrate. Its running excellently, so no i dont' need you guys telling me i'm doing it wrong. Its working, leave it be :)

Its just nice to only clean the first layer daily.. the bucket i wash the pads with goes brown (goes to plants), i'm happy. Its means its doing a good job:)

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As @Meyer Jordan says, "OK." So why did you bring it up in the first place, man? And if everything is running properly, why do you need to add something to remove phosphates, nitrite, & nitrates? I sure would hate to have a system that I had to clean daily. Just saying.......

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
The ego on this forum is unbelievable, always trying to out smart each other lol.. but actually enjoy cleaning (anything that gives my attention to my pond) believe or not and get amazing results, which only takes 2 mins.. if that seems a lot to you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't see ego. I see experience. Feel free to share YOUR experience but don't be offended when you get other opinions, just like you are sharing yours.

I often comment with opinions that may seem contrary because I think it's important for people to hear (or read, in this case) both sides. If you post something and I have a different idea but I don't share it, then where is the learning - for me, for you, or for new pond owners or those who may just be thinking about building their first pond. On many pond forums there is a single "right" way to do things - vary from the accepted path and they will drum you out. I find this to be a welcoming place where ideas can be shared freely. We may question each other but it's done in a spirit of learning and growing in our shared passion.

Keep us up to date on how your filtration works - I'll be interested to see your results long term.

Ask a Question