Very dark grey/ black koi fry

Guy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Our mature koi produced approx 50 fry this summer that survived, about a quarter/third of these are black/grey. In spring (we bought the house/pond in feb) we had 2 approx 3" koi that like these fry were grey/black, over a short period of time this summer one of them turned orange while the other remained black. Can I expect a percentage of our black/grey fry to turn to interesting colours? If we have a mild winter and many of the fry survive is it diffficult to give away black (dull) koi?

Reaction score
I agree with KoiGuy. It is quite common for most goldfish fry to be a darker color. Many of them will change to a white or orange or mix. You can tell if they are Koi because Koi have a handlebar mustache, or whiskers....

Guy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
IMG-20141011-WA0001.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
those are quite pretty goldfish :) I have no clue what's the % of the fry turn colorful but I think it takes a while for them to, so keep watching :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guy I just noticed your from Todmorden if I recall you have all the caves around your area and one that you can visit as joe public yes ?
I remember as a kid going there with my Mum and Dad on a day out from our home town of Oldham Lancs , nice to have you with us .
As to your fry they are definately goldfish however at first it can be pretty hard to see which fry are which as when koi are young its nigh on impossible to see the little barbles they have But nines out of ten its goldfish that are darker in colouration.

Dave

Guy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guy I just noticed your from Todmorden if I recall you have all the caves around your area and one that you can visit as joe public yes ?
I remember as a kid going there with my Mum and Dad on a day out from our home town of Oldham Lancs , nice to have you with us .
As to your fry they are definately goldfish however at first it can be pretty hard to see which fry are which as when koi are young its nigh on impossible to see the little barbles they have But nines out of ten its goldfish that are darker in colouration.

Dave
Hi Dave, Think you must have Tod mixed up with somewhere else. Its mainly gritstone around here so no caves. Maybe you visited the peak district. Thanks for welcome

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We did indeed visit the peakdistrict but I'm talking 50 years ago now when I was 7 so memory's do get a tad muddled but we definately visited Todmorden along the way.
But I also remember caves somewhere on that visit are there any near you ?
I know I'm from the wrong side of the border lol but dont worry as my Grandad was from Batley and we still have relatives there so I believe .

Dave

Guy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hah, no problem, im from the wrong end of the country, southern by birth and didnt come up here until i was 30! Still can't think of any caves.

Ask a Question