Very easy maintenance! Just sharing my experience with my Savio waterfall filter!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hey everyone! I went out today and the weather was so nice, I decided to do something I've never done before. I did Spring maintenance on my waterfall filter. The pond is 2 years old and although I'm diligent with hosing out the Matala pad and basket in the skimmer, this is the first time I did the waterfall filter. I wish I had taken my camera out with me so you could see the mud and scum in it! It was pretty gross! However, the maintenance was VERY easy and I'm really glad I decided to get this particular piece of equipment.
First, I turned off the pump and let the water settle. Then I opened the gate valve at the bottom of the waterfall and let all the grungy water flow out. As you can see from the photos, I have some rocks and plants on top of the waterfall. The bulk of the plant cover is a pre-planted tray of sedum from Home Depot. Here in the south, it survives the winter cold and comes right back. All I had to do was pick up the tray and set it aside. I moved the two flat rocks and round river rocks aside, then took off the scrap piece of pond liner I use to keep dirt and debris from getting in around the cracks in the lid. There are a few plastic bolts around the top - I unscrewed them with my fingers. After taking off the top, I lifted out the filter pad. HOLY MOLY it was gross! Two years worth of scum. The spring tape media inside was gross too, but instead of replacing it with new, I just very gently hosed off most of the crud. I didn't want to completely disrupt any beneficial bacteria in there; I just gave it a gentle rinse. Then I opened the gate valve a second time to let the muddy water out.
At that point, I just put everything back together and restarted the pump.
Since I do have a filter pad in the skimmer, this waterfall maintenance doesn't need to be done more than once a year. It was SO EASY! I was pleasantly surprised!

Attachments

• IMG_3369.jpg
    IMG_3369.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_4021.jpg
    IMG_4021.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 280

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 of these filters . I clean mine about once a month durine the summer. The bolts to keep the lid on were never used, just watch for lid to raise to know when to clean. I have never replaced my spring-floor media and I have one of my filters that is 20 years old! The mat on the top gets replaced every couple of years. Gteat filters! Rob Amy also uses them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have 2 of these filters . I clean mine about once a month durine the summer. The bolts to keep the lid on were never used, just watch for lid to raise to know when to clean. I have never replaced my spring-floor media and I have one of my filters that is 20 years old! The mat on the top gets replaced every couple of years. Gteat filters! Rob Amy also uses them.
Do you also have a skimmer? I think part of the reason I could "push it" so far (as far as not cleaning it as often) was that I clean the pad in the skimmer so often. It kind of prefiltered everything before it got to the waterfall. I really like it!!!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
2 ponds , no skimmer, no bottom drains. We were talked into the Savio by the local pond company. Love it but they are pricey so have been doing did filters. Hubby found a great price a few years ago and got me the 2nd one. They say to replace the spring-flo media every 5 years. It doesn't wear out so no need to replace.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I love my Savio products. I had a similar design, but it was actually the filter, as opposed to waterfall. I used to vigorously swish the Spring Flo material in the filter, prior to draining and lots of stuff came off it.

I ended up selling mine, as I built a sand and gravel filter. Boy did I ever sell fast on Craigs List......lady drove from another state for it !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love the Savio products. I use the waterfall, skimmer and 3 Bio filters from them. Easy maintenance and so far no issues with winter weather. I use 2 pads in my waterfall and that works very well, better then just the one. I have never replaced the spring-flo either. I have to clean my waterfall filters about every month also. I clean my skimmer daily. I bought some of them new and some off Craigslist at a great price.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
It runs 24/7, 365 days a year. I'm in zone 7b and the waterfall filter is sheltered up against a wall, so even when it gets really cold, it's protected. The flow of water going through is fast-moving, too, so that helps it stay unfrozen.

Ask a Question