morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Just in the process of checking out our local town bylaws.......will report back on findings.

ScratchfX-German-Quad-Anti-Aircraft-Gun_Shot3.jpg

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
there is a very easy and cheaper way to rid your pond of the big blue heron. If you can block the landing path then the big blue heron cannot land. I have twine strung from trees to house, over the ponds, high about head, and this is very effective! The big blue heron has a very large wing span and cannot land if the landing strip is blocked. This method is 100% effective for me and the big blue heron has not been back for years now! Plus it gives me more room to hang more lovely plastic junk from dollar store!!
IMAG9946.jpg
IMAG9935.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Don't want to hurt the poor old guy/gal so will keep using my good old faithful net. Don't have any tree or building set up to do like you Colleen so this is the next best thing. You have it fixed so he cannot fly nearby and walk in also as they will do if they can.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The blue heron will not come if he cannot land or take off, he would have a hard time walking in cause he would have to open the fence. They will not go into closed in spaces such as I have, as they will not be able to "lift off" in case if danger. I think they are smart and will not land if they can not take off quickly as it would be dangerous for them to be trapped in my yard with my big bad dogs loose. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I like the anti-aircraft gun, but they are a little out of my price range. I have a bunch of cats that come in my yard and are killing the frogs in my pond. So I have been looking at getting the Scarecrow Motion Activated Sprinkler. The videos of heron, cats and dogs getting hit by the water are hilarious.

Ask a Question