Very green water

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Over the last few weeks my ponds been getting greener and greener, last week I did a bit a water change and cleaned my filters out (they where totally full of green crud only cleaned them 4wks ago!!). I have 2 uvc's 24w & 36w but I've noticed the 36w isn't working properly think the electrics have blown.So im only running a 24w uv now. I have 10,000ltr pond with koi & goldies. Ive done a water check and everything is well in the parameters. I have also got 3 air stones running while the weather is so hot. I always have a bit of issue this time of year but nothing as bad as this?? Do i need to add another uv? Which will help to clump the algea.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
24W UV might be a bit light for your pond, maybe the bulb is old or the sleeve is dirty.
There's something feeding your algae.
What's your maintenance schedule like?

Reaction score
24W UV might be a bit light for your pond, maybe the bulb is old or the sleeve is dirty.
There's something feeding your algae.
What's your maintenance schedule like?[/QUOTE
Hi MitchM
I have been feeding 3 times a day when the water temp goes up above 16 degrees but mainly only feed twice a day but I dont feed lots of food, there's nothing left after 5-10 mins. My filters are new this year so I'm still getting use to how often they need cleaning, as they start to clog up the water level rises then i clean them. My 24w uv had a new bulb about 2 months ago.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Increased heat will increase biological activity, which includes the breakdown of detritus, so if you have any areas where detritus can build up, that should be cleaned out.
Could your new filters be undersized for your pond?
You may need to clean out your filters weekly in order to catch up so you can take food away from the algae.

Ask a Question